High pitch noise coming from flexplate area - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Guitars & Cars >8D

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

High pitch noise coming from flexplate area

Hi guys I just put a vortec 350 in my truck and after firing it up It started making a really high pitched noise like a smoke alarm. I trackd it to the area where the flexplat and toque convertor mate up. Heres a link to a truck with a vortec motor making the same noise.

How should Igo about fixing this?
I just got the engine in and everything hooked up so im really not wanting to pull it aain can the flexplate and torque convertor be removed without pulling the engine?

also does it matter what way the flexplate and torque convertor mate up... like rotation wise. Could I have not had the torque convertor in the right point in its rotation so its unbalanced or something?

Thanks for reading guys
Shayne

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Have you taken the dust cover off and looked for witness marks around the back or the block or around the bell housing for rubbing?

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 08-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Guitars & Cars >8D

Last photo:

Yeah I looked for any signs of grinding and I couldnt see any. Heres what Ive found out about the noise so far. It happens after the engine gets up around operating temp. If I shut off the engine when the noise is happening It will continue for a few seconds after the engine is shut off and I can see the pullies and flexplate arent spinning when the noise is happening for those few secs after shut off. Also oil pressure will fluctuate between the 35-40psi marks when the noise starts up where normally when the noise hasnt startd up the oil pressure is stable. also performance seems to drop once the noeise starts. I plugged one ear and used a hose in the other to track the sound best i could. it was the loudest when i was under the truck right around the flexplate and torque convertor area.

Heres what Ive checked so far...
loose bolts on torque convertor
loose starter bolts and shims
removed torque convertor and slid it back...with engine disengaged from trans it still made the noise.
pulled distributor to check distributor gear no signs of bad wear

this has me really stumped and honestly bummed out cause its keeping me from driving my truck and testing out my new engine I called my uncle who has been messing with chevys for like 35 years and he didnt know what it could was either.

Thanks for taking the time to read this guys. Youre help is really honestly appreciated very much.

Help me Hotrodders..youre my only hope
Old 08-24-2012, 12:38 AM
Guitars & Cars >8D

Last photo:

Hey guys I just found this post on another website and I think my problem may be solved!!! They have exactly the same symtptoms and I made the same mistake as them I was actually going to check it tomarrow but really wasnt conting on it to fix anything one of my less car crazy uncles actually brought it up. My new oil filler cap has no vent holes and I have my other valve cover plugged so its causing pressur to build and be forced out somewhere. at least thats what the ls1tech post says....and honestly it makes perfect sense.

When I fired up my engine my uncle went to take the oil filler ap off. Before he did it he asked if hot oil would come out. I had my old oil fller cap off when the engine was running no prob but when i went to open the new votecs oil filler cap air started rushing out. I quickly tightened it and said nevermind we better not open it I never thougt anythig else about it until today when my uncle said that would be a good thing to check. We thought the noise was air related since it happened after the engine stopped spinning. But i just couldnt think of what it was. I would go out and put it back together but my brother would kill me if i fired up my truck when he has work in 3 hrs and its his house so lol I just wanted to post this on here incase anybody else had this problem cause i really think that this is where my trucks noise is coming from.

Transmission squeal - Page 2 - LS1TECH
Old 08-24-2012, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

Just remember! Pcv on one valve cover and a breather on the other valve cover.
In the future instead of a hose stuck to your ear use a piece of wood like an old broom handle. You can put it right on the block and the sound will resonate thru. Try it.
You should watch all your gaskets now for leaks especially your rear main. Excess pressure blows them out.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.