Hot Rod Forum banner

High Powered Coil's Question

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Pony 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, back to the site after a few years so, sorry if I posted in the wrong area, or asked a question thats been done before.

I trying to learn as much as I can about high Powered Ignition Systems, and are just a bit unsure on a few things. I have been told so many different storeys and things about High Powered Coils and Leads, I'm a bit lost!

I spoke to a guy at Bosch Tech help a few years ago that seemed helpful.but I thought I would see if someone there could offer anymore help.

I have a 1982 302 Ford Cleveland engine that has the standard Bosch Electronic Ignition System.

I seem to be getting told so many different things about what type of Coil and leads I should be running. I'm unsure if by going for the big Yellow Accel Super Coil there would be much difference or a MSD or Mallory High Powered Coil. I was also told once that the MSD Blaster 2 and 3 are just normal rated coils marketed to be something special.

To add to this, I was told by once by Bosch that with Electronic Ignition, the amount of Power a Bosch Transformer Electronic Ignition Coil will throw out is the same as any high powered performance coil, and there for there is no need to seek a so called high powered coil.

He went on to say that the MAX that the High Ten Leads can handle and pass through, is what the Bosch Coils put out anyway and that a Street engine would not require anymore than that, unless I went to a Multi Spark System and so on.

So I am wondering, 1 what coil's would you guy's recommend, and 2 would you say that by adding a Super Coil for eg there would be any major gains?.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

Kind regards,
Francis.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had a 50,000 volt coil on my hot rod one time which is twice the voltage of the stock coil. This was a stock type ignition set up. You would think this would give you a hotter spark and give the the engine more power but this was not the case. When ever I adjusted the timing I had to use a rubber glove. If you didn't, the current would jump through the distributor and shock you good. I switched back to a stock coil and the car ran just as well with no shock when adjusting the timing. My advise is if you are running a specialty ignition system, I would use the coil the manufacturer recommends for their system. If you have a stock set up, the stock coil will work fine.

#4 ·
We only had the Cleveland Series for a few years on this side of the pond. We had the 351C, 351M and 400. All came with Motorcraft ignitions and for the most part worked well on the motors when left stock. What the Bosch tech has told you sounds right on the mark. Bosch make excellent systems and I don't believe you could improve on it. Multi spark systems require the coil to cycle more times per revolution and causes more heat than a stock coil can deal with. Performance coils with finned heat sinks to dissipate the extra heat are recommended for those applications. Your factory wires sound like 10mm (hi ten leads?) and are fine. Most US autos come with 8mm wires and work just fine also. Hope this helps some. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.