High press fire fighting water pump? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 07:37 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

High press fire fighting water pump?

Need a few recommendations if anyone owns a good one. As we all know this summer has seen it's share of terrible wild fires, we had one here in So. Utah last week that burned a few buildings. Some of my neighbors and I are looking into buying a p/u truck mounted 350 gal. water tank, gas powered high press. wtr. pump and the needed hoses just in case the chit hits the fan again. Obviously this would be used just to help protect a home until the fire dept shows up but it would be a helluva lot better than a garden hose.....been there, done that. All of this equip. is available on ebay also...just need a few ideas

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 11:38 PM

Last photo:

This is a little off topic. There is a company in Oregon called Evergreen Aviation. This company spent their own money to retrofit Boeing 747's for air tanker use. These planes have already been used to fight fires in Mexico, and Israel.

Here is Evergreen Aviation info on the plane.
Evergreen Supertanker

The forest service refuses to use this plane. They set the maximum capacity of air tankers at 5,000 gallons, the 747 carries about 7 times that much, and can start and stop water dumps until the tank is empty. My understanding the smaller tankers once started emptying, have to dump all their water.

Ask your congressman or senator why this asset is not being used to fight fires.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:37 AM

Last photo:

Yea a little off topic but interesting. I remember watching a documentry on the super tankers but it was a converted DC-10, IIRC the tanks were pressurized and could really put out the retardent....HEY!! maybe we'll buy one of those
Old 07-07-2012, 07:21 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

site prep

My son is a firefighter in Utah. you need to properly prepare your property. Correct landscaping, green as much as possible. No Mesquite , or highly flamible evergreens close to structures. No exposed wood on the outside of your house, vinyl siding melts fast , , cover it with rock or scucco.Tile Roof The crew on his fire team drives around looking at houses and decides which ones are properly prepared, those get first response in the neighbor hood when fires move close. His family had to be evacuated last week but there was no damage in their neighborhood. Check auction lists for gov,t surplus, My brother-in-law bought a medium Pete surplus tanker fire truck. 20 K miles for 6 K , still on his farm ready to go.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

Thanks....we've already done all the pre-fire clean up, that never really was a problem at my home but 2 of the neighbors built up on the small hillside that is covered in cedars. They cleared them pretty well from around the house but as we know once a fire gets going the storm and wind is generated. It would scare the helloutta me but I'm on the flats, we all live on 20+ acres so when I say neighbor I mean within 1/2 mile or so. The big truck is out ($$$$), we're just looking for something that will get us by till the REAL fire fighters show up, they're only about 3 miles away.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:38 AM

BLM USFS suck

The government agencies do not properly manage western lands, The New mexico fires did not cross over into the indian reservation land . The Tribes properly manage their heritage, controlled logging-firewood controlled grazing , controlled burns, cut down any cedars (Junipers) over 20 ft high only 5 Cedars per acre. The government enviromentalists wants to limit access, and do nothing with the land but keep people and livestock off. Utah Gov Herbert has a Petition filed with congress asking for state controll of all Utah lands. The Scam the sec of the Dept of interior pulled on Dec 23 (Wildlands ) is a good example why Western states need local conrol.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:45 AM

Pressure washer

You can mount some plastic barrels up higher, gravety feed to the pump. and use a 3500-4500 pressure washer with different nozzels. a mister will sometimes work better on grass fires, cool and limit oxygern, switch to stream for trees. I've used mine for fire controll when burning weeds.
The Following User Says Thank You to timothale For This Useful Post:
OneMoreTime (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

That pressure washer deal sounds good to me..As long as I have well water I can fight fire with one of those...

Sam

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.