High Ratio Rocker Arms - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 12:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

High Ratio Rocker Arms

I have a 5.3 Vortec....Cold Air Intake, Exhaust, and a Computer Tune. I am pretty sure this engine come stock with 1.7:1 Rockers. I have been thinking about putting 1.8:1 Rockers on it to get a little bit more out of it. I know I will have to retune the PCM, but my question is: Will I loose a lot of low end torque with the additional valve lift? I have calculated the valve lift with both rockers and the 1.7's are .466 intake/.456 exhaust, while the 1.8's would give it .493 intake/.482 exhaust. I couldn't find much information other than the lobe lift on the stock cam, and it is .274 intake and .268 exhaust. Any ideas? Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009, 12:17 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
I don't think there is enough difference to make a notable change, I doubt you will be able to tell.
Rich
Old 02-11-2009, 01:15 PM

Vortecs have 1.7 rockers?? Hmm, thats news to me. The earlier stock rockers are supposed to be 1.5 ratio and 1.6 is an upgrade. ??

What I do know about the Vortecs is that if you do use a higher ratio rocker you need to be careful because the lift of a stock vortec head is very limited due to the height of the valve guide bosses. I think you can use older style valves and retainers to allow a bit more lift, but most folks get the boses milled down to allow higher lift. With that said, more lift is a good thing and essentialy has the same effect as increasing the valve size.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:27 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65smallblock
Vortecs have 1.7 rockers?? Hmm, thats news to me. The earlier stock rockers are supposed to be 1.5 ratio and 1.6 is an upgrade. ??

What I do know about the Vortecs is that if you do use a higher ratio rocker you need to be careful because the lift of a stock vortec head is very limited due to the height of the valve guide bosses. I think you can use older style valves and retainers to allow a bit more lift, but most folks get the boses milled down to allow higher lift. With that said, more lift is a good thing and essentialy has the same effect as increasing the valve size.
Wrong Vortec, I'm pretty sertain he mean the newer gen III 5.3L.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
Wrong Vortec, I'm pretty sertain he mean the newer gen III 5.3L.
Ahh! So the LS series have 1.7 stock rockers?
Old 02-11-2009, 01:39 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
That's what I understand, but I have no firsthand experience with the gens III 5.3
Old 02-11-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
That's what I understand, but I have no firsthand experience with the gens III 5.3
Cool, that means I learned something today.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB
I have a 5.3 Vortec....Cold Air Intake, Exhaust, and a Computer Tune. I am pretty sure this engine come stock with 1.7:1 Rockers. I have been thinking about putting 1.8:1 Rockers on it to get a little bit more out of it. I know I will have to retune the PCM, but my question is: Will I loose a lot of low end torque with the additional valve lift? I have calculated the valve lift with both rockers and the 1.7's are .466 intake/.456 exhaust, while the 1.8's would give it .493 intake/.482 exhaust. I couldn't find much information other than the lobe lift on the stock cam, and it is .274 intake and .268 exhaust. Any ideas? Thanks
You'll give up some bottom end and get it back on the top end. Where bigger ratio rockers get you is that the amount of lift per degree of cam rotation increases, not just a change to max lift. This makes the engine act as if a bit more cam is in it. At low RPMs the incoming charge doesn't enough velocity to over come reversion pressures during overlap and reverse pumping of the piston as it starts coming up after BDC. So some incoming charge gets pumped back into the intake, this reduces the density of the charge to be compressed in the cylinder and is seen as a power loss. This continues till the velocity of the gases in the ports is sufficient to overcome these reversal effects on the gas dynamics. Usually takes about 4000 RPM to do this.

Porting has the same affect as well for the same reasons. Porting, more cam, more lift, bigger ratio rockers all are additive effects the more of these you do the more power is traded from the bottom end to the top RPMs.

Bogie
Old 02-11-2009, 03:05 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
You'll give up some bottom end and get it back on the top end. Where bigger ratio rockers get you is that the amount of lift per degree of cam rotation increases, not just a change to max lift. This makes the engine act as if a bit more cam is in it. At low RPMs the incoming charge doesn't enough velocity to over come reversion pressures during overlap and reverse pumping of the piston as it starts coming up after BDC. So some incoming charge gets pumped back into the intake, this reduces the density of the charge to be compressed in the cylinder and is seen as a power loss. This continues till the velocity of the gases in the ports is sufficient to overcome these reversal effects on the gas dynamics. Usually takes about 4000 RPM to do this.

Porting has the same affect as well for the same reasons. Porting, more cam, more lift, bigger ratio rockers all are additive effects the more of these you do the more power is traded from the bottom end to the top RPMs.

Bogie
That would normally be true for most "hotrodder engines" but you're forgetting that his cam has short durations and an ungodly wide LSA. He probably won't loose any low end as those two combine to make minimal reversion, by the same token he won't see huge gains up top. Higher ratio rockers are great, but you probably want to consider a cam swap first.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:08 PM

Two data points I have seen over the years with simple rocker upgrades, either zero gain or 10 or so. Have never seen a loss. The engine either likes it or doesn't care. I doubt VERY much you need to retune the PCM just for rockers.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:35 PM

Alright thanks for your input guys
Old 02-11-2009, 10:43 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Quote:
Many of the Gen IIIs do indeed have 1.7 rockers. This includes the LS1, LS2, LS6 and the 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 truck engines.

The LS7 uses 1.8s

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.