Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - High School Drawings
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 12:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

High School Drawings

I enjoy occasionally getting out some old drawings that I did in high school and Junior college. These indirectly pointed me toward my career in custom painting. They opened my eyes to something I would like to share...

My H.S. study hall teacher used to sneak up behind me to see what I was working on. He was also one of the coaches in this small farm school, and enlisted me to paint the school mascot on the gymnasium wall.

The school offered no art classes, but eventually the local women's club sent me to a University Of Illinois summer art camp. Obviously these endorsments encouraged the effort I put into my art after that.

The thing that I find most interesting is that, years later, as a hired painter, my ideas unintentionally became more "generic" to immitate what the pros were doing. I also wanted to please EVERYONE!

I think that since the childhood drawings were only to please myself, I did not worry about other's way of doing things, or their expectations. I just enjoyed exploring my imagination. Once I looked back at my drawings, and I realized this, I plugged the imagination back into my "formula".

Today many customers seem to find that unique "spin" attractive, and are willing to incorporate it into their own projects.

Lets see what you were doing before the pressures of society influenced your art. Here are a few of my more unusual pieces... just to get the ball rolling. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batstang # (2).jpg
Views:	163
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	58289   Click image for larger version

Name:	railsplitter (2).jpg
Views:	149
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	58290   Click image for larger version

Name:	gtotrk1 (2).jpg
Views:	139