Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hot Rod Art (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hot-rod-art/)
-   -   High School Drawings (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/high-school-drawings-205216.html)

TucsonJay 09-10-2011 11:46 AM

High School Drawings

5 Attachment(s)
I enjoy occasionally getting out some old drawings that I did in high school and Junior college. These indirectly pointed me toward my career in custom painting. They opened my eyes to something I would like to share...

My H.S. study hall teacher used to sneak up behind me to see what I was working on. He was also one of the coaches in this small farm school, and enlisted me to paint the school mascot on the gymnasium wall.

The school offered no art classes, but eventually the local women's club sent me to a University Of Illinois summer art camp. Obviously these endorsments encouraged the effort I put into my art after that.

The thing that I find most interesting is that, years later, as a hired painter, my ideas unintentionally became more "generic" to immitate what the pros were doing. I also wanted to please EVERYONE!

I think that since the childhood drawings were only to please myself, I did not worry about other's way of doing things, or their expectations. I just enjoyed exploring my imagination. Once I looked back at my drawings, and I realized this, I plugged the imagination back into my "formula".

Today many customers seem to find that unique "spin" attractive, and are willing to incorporate it into their own projects.

Lets see what you were doing before the pressures of society influenced your art. Here are a few of my more unusual pieces... just to get the ball rolling. :-)

lt1silverhawk 09-10-2011 12:08 PM

These are good! I'd frame any of those and hang 'em on my garage wall. :thumbup:

TucsonJay 09-10-2011 01:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
These are good! I'd frame any of those and hang 'em on my garage wall. :thumbup:

That would be the best tribute I could ever ask for! :-)

Here are some more. You can guess the time frame by the Mercury space capsule, and the altered wheelbase stuff.

TucsonJay 09-10-2011 04:30 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A few more unusual things.

brickyardboy 09-11-2011 05:12 AM

Really nice renderings, Jay! Thanks for posting them. You should lift some of the front-engine dragster drawings and enter them in the art contest. Any samples of your airbrush work? If you have some time, you can go through some of the previous art contests to see the variety of work that's been done here.

KENMO 09-11-2011 07:28 AM

You got talent....impressive sketches....

TucsonJay 09-11-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickyardboy
Really nice renderings, Jay! Thanks for posting them. You should lift some of the front-engine dragster drawings and enter them in the art contest. Any samples of your airbrush work? If you have some time, you can go through some of the previous art contests to see the variety of work that's been done here.

"Brick"... (I assume you are from Indy, with a name like that)... Thanks for the kind words. I wasn't going to enter any. They may have unusual ideas... but today's computer enhanced work seems much more complex and professional. I could drop one in just to support the theme.

My airbrush work does not compare to the subtleties of what guys are producing now. I still use a binks, and stencil much of it. That's the way I started in about '72... and I am a creature of habit. The truth is, I actually get more pleasure out of the design phase than the execution.

Do you have any of your early work?

lt1silverhawk 09-11-2011 11:50 AM

The Mercury capsule rod looks sweeet! :thumbup: You've got a unique perspective.

TucsonJay 09-11-2011 12:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
You guys are makin' me blush. :-)

A few more... some from later years:

brickyardboy 09-11-2011 04:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TucsonJay
"Brick"... (I assume you are from Indy, with a name like that)... Thanks for the kind words. I wasn't going to enter any. They may have unusual ideas... but today's computer enhanced work seems much more complex and professional. I could drop one in just to support the theme.

My airbrush work does not compare to the subtleties of what guys are producing now. I still use a binks, and stencil much of it. That's the way I started in about '72... and I am a creature of habit. The truth is, I actually get more pleasure out of the design phase than the execution.

Do you have any of your early work?

Actually, I'm from Massachusetts.The name "brickyard" originated from the area where I live, which housed an old red brick manufacturing plant.
I've always wanted to try my luck with an airbrush, but have never gotten around to it. Most of my work is done in oils. It takes me a lot longer, but as I get older, and my Arthritis continues to claim some of my hands, oils seems to be more forgiving, and I can more readily correct my mistakes. Most of the stuff I do here is done with markers, pastels and colored pencils. Quick and easy, and not worried about exact details. I associate with your work because I'm still an old school guy who loves to draw and paint. I've included some older pen and ink drawings.

brickyardboy 09-11-2011 04:37 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A few more:

TucsonJay 09-11-2011 05:03 PM

Cool drawings! Looks like you enjoy the people side of the car hobby. :-)

Is that a Chrysler Air Flow?

brickyardboy 09-12-2011 04:32 AM

Thank you for the compliment. It's a '35 Desoto Airflow. Like the Chrysler, only a little shorter, and not as fancy. An unlikely hot rod if there ever was one! :D

geezer69 09-12-2011 07:34 AM

nice drawins !! i tried many times to draw. i just cant do it. i cant sing either. hahaha. verry good stuff !! got any more? :thumbup:

TucsonJay 09-12-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickyardboy
Thank you for the compliment. It's a '35 Desoto Airflow. Like the Chrysler, only a little shorter, and not as fancy. An unlikely hot rod if there ever was one! :D

I love the bizaar and unusual! I've been following the hobby for 53 years, and I have come to hate the way people follow a trend, and most always build "the expected". It is supposed to be about being unique! That's why they call it customizing. :-)