Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   high speed sander discs (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/high-speed-sander-discs-152773.html)

old fords 02-05-2009 05:39 PM

high speed sander discs

I have a campell hausfeld high speed sander. It works good except it slings the stick on discs off all the time. I am using some I got at a tool sale. They work good on a da sander but this one turns so fast it slings them off all the time. If anyone knows where I could get some that will stay on I would appreciate it

DocSpeed 02-05-2009 06:46 PM

Wow! That thing must be really turning some rpms! Maybe your technique could use some adjusting. Have you tried not engaging the sander until your applying pressure to what your sanding? And disengaging allowing the sander to come to a stop before releasing pressure? May help keep the discs on. Also could try applying a small amount of 3m vinyl top adhesive spray to the back of your sander for extra grip.

dinger 02-05-2009 07:17 PM

Get some 3M disk adhesive, designed for this application. Comes in a tube or spray.

Also, check the little knobber on the side of the head of the sander, the weight there will allow the head to articulate or run like a grinder. Hope I got the terminology correct.

powerrodsmike 02-05-2009 08:12 PM

If you are using a high speed sander, you need a disc with a hole in the center, Self adhesive discs are for patternless DA sanders.
If you are trying to get them to stick to a DA pad, try cleaning the backing pad, and get all the remnants of old paper off. The vinyl cover needs to be smooth if you want self adhesive discs to stick at all. The tool sale discs you got probably need to have the sticky stuff reapplied, so follow Dinger's advice.

Don't put vinyl top adhesive on your DA backing pad, unless you want to replace it along with your sandpaper.

Later, mikey

old fords 02-05-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
If you are using a high speed sander, you need a disc with a hole in the center, Self adhesive discs are for patternless DA sanders.
If you are trying to get them to stick to a DA pad, try cleaning the backing pad, and get all the remnants of old paper off. The vinyl cover needs to be smooth if you want self adhesive discs to stick at all. The tool sale discs you got probably need to have the sticky stuff reapplied, so follow Dinger's advice.

Don't put vinyl top adhesive on your DA backing pad, unless you want to replace it along with your sandpaper.

Later, mikey

Do you know where you can get the discs with a hole in the center. I was using the stick on discs and cutting part of the center out

powerrodsmike 02-05-2009 08:48 PM

Any body shop supply or welding supply will have them.

later, mikey