High temp paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hot Rod Art
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Burnt rubber and Raceing gas

Wiki Edits: 0

High temp paint

Does anyone know if the color you paint your engine matters heat wise? I was going to paint my block black but everyone says NO! "That holds to much heat" Paint it silver or a light color. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Jailbar Revolutionary

Last photo:

It's all about light. Black gets hot because it reflects no light of the color spectrum as where white reflects all color and stays cool.
A certain color in a dark area does not matter, it's all about the kind and chemistry of the paint.
If the color black will see light it will get hotter than other colors but if it stays in the dark all the time there is no reason for it to heat up anymore than orange or blue or white.
If you plan on running with your hood off at all, don't go black.

Think about a black shirt vrs. a white shirt outside, obviously the black gets hotter.
Now think about a black shirt and white shirt inside a house where it's a hundred degrees, they will feel the same.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:12 AM
Ford Man to the bone!!!

Last photo:

Back in the late 60s or early 70s a top Pro Stock guy (Bill Jenkins, I think) started looking into the color of the engine. While it is true that the "Light" reflection factor is there, there is also a "Heat" reflection factor, since heat and light are both waves.

Here is the weird part of his results...
The paint is the same color on the inside as the outside of the surface painted. A black engine sees the inside of the paint and lets the heat out.
So his motors were painted flat black.
Basicaly the heat is not transfered as easy to a light color paint layer but is reflected back into the metal.

In a street car using a dark compartment would let more of the heat be absorbed by the sheet metal and the engine might run a little cooler. Of course remember, this is not a remedy for an inefficient cooling system. However this could be a big factor in an over heating car if there is little air flow through the compartment.

Last edited by FordMan1951; 03-24-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Burnt rubber and Raceing gas

paint

Man ,I just painted it silver, Think it will get hotter now? So what your are telling me is that the black paint absorbs the heat from the block and then disperses it from the reverse side? So if I painted my block silver will the heat reflect back into my block? Where would I go to read about this study?
Old 03-26-2007, 03:11 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

I really do not think at the temperature an engine runs at, that you will see much of a difference with different colors BUT.....

Quote:
The paint is the same color on the inside as the outside of the surface painted. A black engine sees the inside of the paint and lets the heat out.
Have you ever noticed some heatsinks on electrical components / circuit boards? They are flat black. That way it draws the heat to the heatsink away from the component. So I suppose you could look at an engine the same way. But there are so many variables that I really don't think color makes a difference. If you would monitor under hood temperatures, headers will make the underhood temps hotter over stock exhaust manifolds. And headers will reduce engine temperatures, but with underhood temperatures increasing does any of that absorb back into the engine? A hood insulation lining will hold heat in versus no lining, and the rubber control arm dust shields will keep it a few degrees hotter versus air flow around the engine. Also consider the size of the thermostat that you are running and does the engine have a decent fan shroud or not. So the engine probably does not really see a difference between, orange, black, silver, or even white.

Recent Hot Rod Art posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.