Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   high torque starter (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/high-torque-starter-221990.html)

tbrown8338 07-22-2012 09:53 AM

high torque starter

I have a 1973 chevy 350 engine and for some reason I cannot find a starter that will last. I have tried both new and rebuilt. the new one is doing ok but seems to be turning a little slow. Is there a high torque (mini) starter out there that i can try. I have headers so mini starter will give me a little more room. I heard the starter from a later model chevy truck will work but not sure about that. can someone help me with this issue.

tyrone

cullencombs 07-22-2012 10:10 AM

First off i would find out why the current starters aren't lasting. Whats happening to them? Unless you're running high compression a stock style starter should have no issues. I run a jegs mini starter just for header clearence and love it. It hasnt failed me yet.

vinniekq2 07-22-2012 10:41 AM

I use the same starter that Warren johnson uses,or used in the past.Its about full size though.I bought it from lukovich engines,so far trouble free for 7 years. Check your wires.Use welding cable if the battery has been relocated.Super high compression and a lot of lead timing can be bypassed with a kill switch or ignition retard for start up.

327NUT 07-22-2012 12:47 PM

Cullen and Vininie are on the right track, I think most continuous starter problems are due to electrical issues. Make sure your battery is getting FULLY charged, all of your elec. connections are corrosion free and tight......and I always run an additional #1 or #0 welding cable ground from the battery to the nearest bellhousing bolt by the starter. Overkill???? maybe but I don't have starting problems either.

Ruthlessmr 09-16-2012 11:11 PM

I throw away all the big stock style garbage starters and get the newer permamag starters which usually sell for 70$ never had another issue
star washer on grounds check starter voltage drop

cobalt327 09-17-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbrown8338 (Post 1575967)
I have a 1973 chevy 350 engine and for some reason I cannot find a starter that will last. I have tried both new and rebuilt. the new one is doing ok but seems to be turning a little slow. Is there a high torque (mini) starter out there that i can try. I have headers so mini starter will give me a little more room. I heard the starter from a later model chevy truck will work but not sure about that. can someone help me with this issue.

tyrone

What goes wrong w/the starter?

Be sure the starter gear is spaced correctly to the flywheel/flexplate ring gear.

More on starters and etc. here. More troubleshooting and how to install a remote solenoid is here.

Good luck.