Hot Rod Forum banner

High Torque Starter Questions

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  1975yellowC3 
#1 ·
I just started my brand new 383 a few minutes ago. It actually started... :D (1st motor I have put together and I was scared to death to hit the starter!!)

It died shortly after it started a couple of times as my carb isn't quite setup right. Problem is that my starter just won't turn the thing over after it has run a little. My starter is just the run of the mill Adv. Auto Parts starter. My engine has 9.6:1 compression. I also unhooked the power to dizzy to make sure I didn't have timing advanced to far. This resulted in the same thing....barely turning motor over.

1. Does my starter just not have enough umph to start this thing?

2. If I get a high torque starter, can I just mount it up, plug it in, and go?

I don't understand these high torque starters. Does the high torque starter just have gear reduction to give it more torque, which turns the motor over a little slower. Seems like the only other way for high torque would require more current draw?

#6 ·
Thanks guys.

sjkonyndyk...thanks for the part number :thumbup:

I think I am going to get the battery checked and then make sure I have a good ground. I have read on here people having problems with starters doing similar things with insufficient grounding.

If that doesn't work....off to Adv. Auto to get a new starter!

#7 ·
Hi,
GM has 2 starters for you car, one is regular & the other is a high torque, you can tell the difference by looking at the end of the solenoid, the HT will have an extension on the screw at the bottom of sol. the regular starter the screw will be about flush with the sol. If yours is the regular type exchange it for the GM HT, they should be about the same price as the regular starter.
Rich

#9 ·
1975yellowC3 said:
Thanks guys.

sjkonyndyk...thanks for the part number :thumbup:

I think I am going to get the battery checked and then make sure I have a good ground. I have read on here people having problems with starters doing similar things with insufficient grounding.
If that doesn't work....off to Adv. Auto to get a new starter!
Good move on checking grounds - especially if you are indeed talkking about a C3. As you probably already know, they seem to frequently have ground problems.
If you are not already aware, corvetteforum.com has a C3 section.
Terry

#11 ·
Thanks for the all the help everybody. Haven't had a chance to do anything this evening, but I am definitely going to try the jumper cable trick.

It is really weird to me that if I went out to the garage right now, it would crank just fine. After running for a minute or so, it will not turn it over again. It is running extremely rich right now. Think there is any chance that it is hydraulically locking? I can't be a heat soak problem, because the motor isn't even remotely warm when this happens. :confused:

#12 ·
cyl wash ?

I've heard guys say that overly rich will wash down the Cylinder walls. leaving no oil coating, making more cylinder wall-piston ring friction, I don't know if that is true. In the old days a few guys used other GM starters on their SBC, think big olds, not sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.