High volume oil pumps and deep sump pans - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 10:43 PM

Wiki Edits: 4

High volume oil pumps and deep sump pans

I was told by a mechanic that in order to use a high volume oil pump I also had to purchase A drag racing oil pan ,if not I would suck the pan dry at high rpms.I purchased a melling m55hv pump it says it flows out 20-25% more oil.I'm on a tight budget and don't really want to have to buy an oil pan.Do any of you guys have any experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2009, 11:10 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

This won't likely happen. However, why do you need a high volume pump.
If we a talking SBC, the standard pump volume is more than whats needed.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

The verdict is out on the HV oil pump sucking the pan dry. Some guys swear they do, I do not think its possible. I had one occasion where I thought it might be true and it was in a racing boat with an HV pump. Long sustained 6000 rpms. It starved for oil, but no way to tell if it really actually sucked the pan dry. With the carnage that was in that engine there was no way to tell what happened.

The theory is this (in my opinion): Just because you have an HV pump doesn't mean the pump is actually flowing more oil. The engine still has the same tolerances and lube orifices, so its not actually flowing more oil. Any excess oil just gets bypassed directly back into the pan anyway. I believe that there is no way to suck a pan dry with an HV pump. Even if it did suck more out of the pan, it would only be temporary since excess bypass oil goes right back in the pan.

I've run lots of HV pumps in stock pans with no issues at all. I think your guy is full of poop. No way an HV pump would suck a pan dry. Like I said, I've even used them in marine builds that see high RPMs for long periods of time and never had any issues with a stock pan.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:31 AM

Wiki Edits: 4

Well I'm building a pretty healthy 355 Chevy engine with 10.8 compression so i figured a hv oil pump would be a good idea.Now i'm thinking a 7 quart pan might be a good idea too.What would the benefits of a larger pan be?Better for detonation? I'm using iron heads so any detonation help would be good.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:45 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A bigger oil pan will do nothing to help detonation.A 7 qt probably isnt needed,I use a 6 ot pan on my big block.One advantage with a bigger pan is that you can leave the oil level down a bit to help reduce crankshaft windage.And,according to all the research I have done,its like curtis 73 said,its virtually impossible to suck an oil pan dry.This is just "an old wives tale".
Guy
Old 03-09-2009, 05:57 AM
Psychomotors

Wiki Edits: 0

Summit sells a very nice pan/pump combo under their name for cheap compared to name brands.I have one on my 350.It is the same pump with a welded pickup.It has a high press spring in it which I replaced.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.