High Volume or Standard Oil Pump?? SBC - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 04:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

High Volume or Standard Oil Pump?? SBC

I know this has been asked 100 times but from what ive read and what my engine builder says are differnet.
I have read numerious times that a high volume will suck ur pan dry.
The guy building my engine is telling me a standard pump will probaly not be enough and i should switch to high volume or atleast a high pressure.

Engine: 383 Chevy 9.5 CR never see over 6500rpm street motor
8 quart mororso pan

help??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2007, 04:49 PM

Last photo:

That would be with a stock pan you should be ok with the 8qt pan w/ high volume imho.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:00 PM

A hocus pokus pump is not useful on a street driven car and probably only marginally helpful on an all out drag car. Much more helpful are wide open drains from the heads and a good windage setup.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:29 PM

Last photo:

what is best for a weekend street / strip SBC with say a 7qt moroso pan and a stock oil pump or a high volume or a high pressure pump ?

what is best for a weekend street / strip SBC with say a stock pan and a stock oil pump or a high volume or a high pressure pump ?
Old 07-09-2007, 05:38 PM

What was the reason your builder thought a stock pump would not be enough?

What is best...whatever gives you the target pressures you are looking for. It's that simple. We like to setup the pumps to give 65 or so PSI under full throttle conditions, although 55 does not bother us. If the volume of a stock pump is not adequate then a HV pump is needed. On a stock 350 or 400 small block with a flat tappet hyd or solid cam and .002 or so on the rods and .025 or so on the mains a standard pump is all you will ever need. On a Dart block wtih priority main oiling, solid roller without restrictors and spring oiliers a high volume will be needed.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I`ve ran high volume pumps on stock systems and never had one "suck the pan dry" That`s a myth. When I learned I didn`t need high volume pumps I stopped using them. A small block chevy from the factory has a excellant oiling system, and if the clearences are on spec it`ll have outstanding oil pressure. My 4.3 V6 has a stock pump, it never goes below 30 psi, and anything past 2300 RPM it`s on 60 psi. On a small block chevy you can deburr the rear drain back holes, these holes always have casting flash on them and really slow down the oil rate back to the pan, I always take my carbide cutter and die grinder and smooth the flash away and widen the holes, this greatly improves oil drainback and cuts oil falling directly on the crank in the lifter valley. I do this before the block goes to the machine shop to be assured all the debris are cleaned. I also never trust the plastic collar to lock the drive rod, I always use the melling hardened rod. I would only use a high volume pump if I were revving it over 6500 on a steady basis, also have to remember, a higher volume pump takes more power to drive. There are several mods you can do to the stock pump as well. Like opening it up, mark the gears, then remove them, the use the carbide cutter to deburr the opening and slightly widen it. you can do the same on the rear main cap where the pump sits, deburr and smooth the entry point of casting flash.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleVision For This Useful Post:
royef53 (09-28-2013)
Old 07-09-2007, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

Another drainback mod is to drill a 1/2" hole in the webbing near the rear main cap, this provides an easy route for oil to get to the pan in the back of the block -otherwise it is always fighting the crankshaft rear counterweight.
The Following User Says Thank You to baddbob For This Useful Post:
royef53 (09-28-2013)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.