hip precautions and roll cage - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 01:37 PM
471A

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

hip precautions and roll cage

My 29 street-strip A sedan is a joy to drag race, running high 10s. My continued enjoyment is, however, now questionable, due to a mismatch between the design of my NHRA rollcage and the hip precautions which I now must follow due to total joint replacement of my left hip. Simply put, a person with a replaced hip must avoid postures in which the knee is raised higher than the hip. Phrased in terms of angles, one must keep lower than 90 degrees the angle between the knee and an imaginary vertical line drawn from head to toe in a standing position. In my A, I must bend my knee to almost 135 degrees just to slide into the driver's seat and, when seated, my knees are both higher than my hip, at about 120 degrees. My physical therapist suggested that, for starters, I move the seat back 6-10 inches so that my legs could then be less than the 90 degree limit. That might be possible by modifying the driver's side roll cage to accommodate a recessed "funny car" style cage surrounding the driver, allowing the seat to then be back into into the now- recessed space. This does not, however, answer how one gets into that recessed seat without running afoul of the 90 degree limit.
I would be pleased to hear from any with suggestions, especially any who have had to address hip precaution issues in configuring their own car's interior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 08:09 PM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

Does NHRA still allow "swing-out" side bars on the cage ? Would that help ?

454 RATTLER
Old 02-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

471A, do you have enogh head room to raise the seat?
Old 02-26-2012, 10:09 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Just off the top of my head....a swing out bar will help getting in/out I think. Consider a sliding seat with a low left side. Back into it, lift the feet and slide the seat back. In the race position you may be able to have a side support to compliment the seat.

BTW a custom aluminum seat is difficult to make and expensive. I just finished one for a Nostalgia Funnycar. Prefer not to make another one.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:13 PM

Last journal entry: new pictures of T-bucket
Last photo:

I have had both total knee replacements and total left hip replacement.I am currently building a T-bucket with a 2" seat riser.so obviously my knees will be higher than my hips.I had my surgerys 3 years ago,my orthopaedic surgeon has always assured me that after the initial healing process that there is no reason that I can't do everything I used to do before the surgery.obviously I gave up riding motorcycles but thats just common sense.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I have some of the same issue in that I do not bend as well as I used to so getting in and out of a race cage can be a bit of a difficulty..I am working out the seating so when I am in I am in a comfortable position with my legs stretched out..Btw I am building my seats from steel as that is much easier than aluminum and the weight is not that much of a factor for me.. using a detachable steering wheel is a big help as well..

Sam

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.