Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hitting Hard When Shifting into Drive at Idle
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 12:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
Almost all aftermarket modulators are adjustable by reaching down into the hose nipple with a small flat blade screwdriver, in your case turning it counter clockwise to "soften" it, 1/2 turn at a time. Can't go too far though, only maybe 3 full turns out. This will also lower the shift points a lttle too, though. Have you worked on the carb and the distributor advance curve to try to get a stable 950-1050 rpm idle speed?? This is where most of the problem probably is.
The lope is just to much to idle at 950 and at 1000 its just enough to keep it running and 1100rpm is perfect. I already locked the timming in at 36 and tuned the carb idle circuit to achieve the lowest idle possible without it stalling.. The motor itself runs great and has a great off-idle response. Here's the problem, when the motor is cold I need to have the RPM set 100 rpm higher or it will stall. But by doing so I cant shift it out of drive until its fully warmed up or it will hammer the rear end when I shift into drive. If I shift directly into reverse first it wont do that, then I can shift from reverse to drive and its fine. I have no problem making my shft points lower, since I mostly shift manually anyways. So if I adjust the module counter-clockwise, that will soften the blow?