Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hitting Valves
Thread: Hitting Valves
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2003, 01:08 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Arrow

One other thing to consider and I thought about it in your first post,fuel supply. One of my longtime customers had a similar problem on a '66 7 Litre Galaxy, either the fuel had gone stale (varnished) or someone had sugared his tank. When he pulled the heads and brought them to me there was a caramel like substance that had caused several to hang open. He hadn't driven it in a year or so and keeps all his vehicles (builds show quality early Mustangs) in a climate controlled garage and it was fine the first day he drove it after storage and the next morning he bent a pushrod which lead to the head removal. Some of the valves had to be heated with a propane torch to soften the goo enough to get the valves out. Because of his storage situation he was sure it wasn't tampered with, so I insisted he drain the tank or the problem was likely to re-appear. He drained it while I was working the heads and said that it was very stale and he flushed it and put in fresh and hasn't had the problem since. Although I encounter gummed up carbs regularly since the reformulation of fuel this is the first and hopefully the last that has had such a serious side effect.