Hot Rod Forum banner

HK, or anyone else, a question for you

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jwcnj45 
#1 ·
How do I remove the old peeling clear coat? I've been told to scrape off with a razor blade. There must an easier way. Also, How do I prevent this from happening to the new paint? Thats the reason I've always used single stage.
Thanks, Jack

#2 ·
Jack, to remove your old chipping clearcoat you either have to use a razor blade or sand it off, there really isn't any easier way to remove it without desterbing your color coat.

The reason your clear coat probably started chipping could be a few things, but the ones that top my list are faulty application as in not enough prep work, but usually the color coat would peel up with the clear if this was the case. What I think it is, is a crack or scratch developed in your paint and water got under it and started to peel the clearcoat or lift the clear. It is a pretty common problem for older paint applications that see regular or semi regular use. The only prevention is to try to keep the paint from developing deep scratches and chips and if they do to take imediate action in repairing them. Yes its worse than having another kid with a boo boo, but hey, you decided to raise the car :p ;)

HK :D

#5 ·
Jack I know how you feel, I have a '94 Olds cutlass sierra that developed a crack and the clear started pealing off on the hood due to water buildup. Me being lazy and the car wasn't that important to look good so I just got me a peice of white duct tape I used to use on my race car and slapped it over the crack after it dried, problem solved :D

You might just want to sand it off with some 120 with a DA it might take longer, but it would be much safer than trying to manover a razorblade between coats. Or if you have a really good air compressor a set of safety goggles and a pinhole air chuck you can turn up the air pressure to about 90-100psi and peel that crap off. I've done it that way twice, its kinda fun, but but can get very loud, use ear protection. You can get a pinhole air chuck at a harware store, it looks like a pen or pencil and usually made of brass and it has a twist nozzle for varying air pressure. That one of my favorite tools :D

HK

#7 ·
We do a good number of de-lamination repairs at the shop where I work. Trying to scrape off the clearcoat and save the base might be possible but will be very time consuming. We have found the best way to deal with the problem is to just strip it to bare metal and then refinish. If the repair is worth making on the vehicle then it's worth doing right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.