hmm.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2005, 01:36 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last journal entry: Wiring finished finally
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

hmm..

Verrrrry interesting thing came up as I was about to change out my plugs and oil/filter today. Started pulling the plug wires on the right side of the motor and I noticed that the #3 plug wire had some dried up oil on it and I just pulled the wires about 2 weeks ago to check what my popping problem was, wasn't on there at the time. I removed the bracket attached to the valve covers for the wires and I noticed a small pool of oil in between the #3 and 5 cylinder's which was being held in by the exhaust gasket so it couldn't seep down the block. My 1st thought is that it could be the bolt for the heads might've loosened up so I checked that but it was pretty snug on there. There is a plug that threads into the head, I guess it could be for an oil sensor and it didn't show signs of leaking through there although I couldn't really tell. Wiped as much oil as I could away from the area and I'm not sure if the oil psi is overcoming the bolt and spiraling upwards through the threads (oil psi is @ 70 in the morning at initial startup and I let it warm up for a few minutes, 20-23 when fully warmed up) I purchased the el camino (454 bbc) with the block supposidly rebuilt but you always take a risk when they say that, so I'm not sure if the guy used loctite on the head bolts. My motor does burn/leak oil, rings not seating properly I guess(light coat of oil on plugs but no white/blue smoke ever from the exhaust) and I'm still fixing the minor leaks it has. I hope it isn't something major like a cracked head or a blown gasket.. I think I'm overreacting as usual when some problem comes up heheh but just need reassurance! I might remove that bolt and put some loctite on it as well as the plug in the head but any takers on this situation? Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2005, 01:52 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

if I am reading your post right I would guess a valve cover gasket and retuching the cover bolts should do it, sometimes just hammering it will shake a drop or two out. unless the oil level is dropping or you see a puddle I would just keep an eye on it. I do not think you have any big pending problem (issue for the geeks) here. IMHO
Old 12-31-2005, 03:21 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last journal entry: Wiring finished finally
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

---------Edited----------

Last edited by Classix_Lover; 01-01-2006 at 09:06 PM. Reason: I'm an overreacting pos heheh

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.