Hmm Need Some Ideas in wiring some custom components - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2006, 11:35 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hmm Need Some Ideas in wiring some custom components

OK, I just fabed and installed a new guage pod, after shopping around for a pod I could cut on and make my own I didnt find anything, so I designed my own using styling ideas from the 32" ford pod. I had the design cut out with a friends CAD plasma and added some cut out flames on each side of the speedo and tach, and a set of wings in the top dead center (I'm a helicopter Crew Chief) I put red LED's behind the flames for the turn indicators and a blue LED behind the wings for the brights indicator. What I want to do is when I park the truck at a show, wire in a simple on/off switch to turn all the LED's on to back light the cutouts. Unfortunatly this will produce a backfeed in the system and when the turns or brights are used for their normal use will illuminate the entire indicating system... I'm OK with electrical but no whiz by any means, I believe if I use two relays in parrallel that will open and close the system to where I would be able to do what I want and still have function for the indicators without backfeeding into the larger system....unfortunatly I am not real sure on the wiring for this or if I'm on the right track...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Last photo:

What you want to do can be accomplished with some diodes. Diodes are electronics check valves, they allow current to flow only one way. You could install a polarity proper diode in the voltage + wire to each blinker and to the hi beam indicator. Then all you would need to provide is a 12v switched source to the blinker and hi beam indicator before the diodes.

Vince
Old 06-19-2006, 02:28 PM

Last photo:

on the right track....thanks,

that said I guess I am now "diode stupid" got any recomendations or would rat shack (radio shack) know what the heck they are talking about?
Old 06-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Last photo:

The LED's that you are using are rated at fairly low current requirements (probably in the 10 to 20ma range). Just pick some diodes rated for 12v and you should be OK.

Vince
Old 06-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

1N4001's Will probably do what you need..about $2 for a pack of 2..

• The Cathode side to the LED's And The bypass or "Show" power switch
  • The anode side to the headlight power.

If you want to jazz it up a bit..you can install (build) an LED Flasher oscillator, Or a 555 Timer (timer is a bit more involved) To Flash the ONLY THE LED's at a predetermined rate..

(You Can select the "Flash Rate from 1 Hz or 1 flash per second..to MHz millions flashes per second..at that rate is not visible to the human eye) just so long so long as you mount the output side of the flash unit on the Cathode side of the diode.

Parts needed, an LED Flasher oscillator (number escapes me, but Rat Shack has them), A Duel 4 pin dip socket, a Small project box with small pref board, some 22 gauge primary wire, an selection of resistors and electrolytic caps, all this you can get at rat shack for under $26 bucks..

Hook up is simple, Basics are:

power and ground, to the chip, resistor / Cap combo on the null or output, output to the lamp circuit..mount on socket on the perf board, pre-wire it, put board in the project box, run output side to lamps, on/off switch, mount under dash..

If you want to try it post back I'll look up the schematic OR get the chip from RAT Shack..it's on the back of the package..

I think you can also get these pre~built..but I don't remember where..

Doc
Old 06-19-2006, 09:57 PM

Last photo:

whoowhee thats what I need!
Old 06-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

KEWL,

Keep us informed on progress.

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.