hmmm rust removal...an answer please - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2005, 05:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Roller,
Its normally $150 to add the phosphate coat.
I skip that part of it and just make sure its a dry day when picking the car up
and I tarp it good.
69Judge convert=$1200
69Gto htp =$1350
model A +$1100 and he had Phosphate done.

These are pretty standard prices around the southeast .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2005, 10:47 PM

Last photo:

A pressure washer should be the first thing used on it.

Danny
Old 01-01-2006, 04:17 PM

Last photo:

I saw a fellow try to save a 65 Buick rag top that had been in a flood in Kentucky some years back and he gave up on the thing because too many parts were not available. Some things you need to bear in mind is that mud gets EVERYWHERE down inside door posts, in the cowl, inside the doors, inside the rockers I mean EVERYWHERE and some places are next to impossible to clean. I don't think the dip will remove the mud that may be left in places you can't reach but it may sanitize it at least. If it is anywhere near as bad as that Buick after it sat for two days in muddy river water I don't think you will be able to use much else besides the body sheetmetal since the entire interior, wiring, most body trim and most mechnical parts will be history.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:59 PM

Last photo:

I can't believe guys are saying to get rid of the Cougar. If it's the car you want, then go for it and strip it down to the bare body and start over. Acid dipped? I guess that one way to do it. I would consider tearing everything apart, stripping it down, pressure washing it inside and out with soap and water to get rid of the salt and mud and then start treating it as you would any rusted out body. You'll have to toss the interior and all the electrical as everyone already said and start over, but heck, if it's a keeper, go for it! However, if you plan on selling it for a profit, don't even try it. You'll soon have more money in it than it's worth. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 01-02-2006, 04:02 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

73... If you have never seen or dealt with a flooded car, then you have no idea what you are up against. Pressure washing it will not get it all out. The vehicle will start rusting out in places that many people don't even realize exist.

A few years ago, I knew a guy that owned a shop that specialized in a certain make and model of car. He bought a flooded car, just to see what was involved in fixing one. After about a month or so, even the dash support was rusted thru. That was after he had pressure washed it and ran clean water thru everywhere he could find. In most states it will also be almost impossible to sell the car later, as it will be required by law to be tagged as a "flood vehicle".

Aaron
Old 01-02-2006, 05:34 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

^^^ at one point i was going to purchase an audi TT and at another point i was going to purchase a PT cruiser, both of which had been flooded

neither had ben flooded up to the dash, and both had been sunk in fresh water

the TT went into a stream, and the PT was sitting at the lowest point of the fairgrounds parking lot, which actualy turned into more of a drainage ditch when a massive storm hit

TT's have insane rust protection, and the PT would have been fully swapped anyways

both ran perfect, and everything else worked perfect too, but both times the boss found out i was trying to buy a customer car, and i was shot down both times ....

miserable fhacker .... both cars were "wrecked" the first year they were out ... if they had been to much trouble i could have easily sold them back to the dealership piece by piece to repair other customer vehicals ... a fender here, a roof panel there .....

sometimes flood cars are a great deal, as long as you know what your getting
Old 01-02-2006, 09:04 AM

Last photo:

I think adtkart said it best, If you have never dealt with a flooded car(mud) then you will just have to inspect one to believe it. I got involved(briefly) with the Buick when the guy wanted me to cut apart some interior panels to access the mud for removal and while that may sound ridiculous it seemed the only way to remove 100% of the mud. We wound up drilling large holes in the door posts in an attempt to flush it out but even that did not get it all and unless you do you will never get rid of the smell. Even the dash bracing and dash underside had started to rust and when he tried to remove these parts the size of the undertaking started to become apparent and the thing went to the scrap yard. You have to remember there are many interior areas of a body that have no paint and when that crud gets down into the cracks and crevices such as in the door posts and even the roof areas it will start to rust big time. I am not saying this can't be done I am just saying that before spending money on this thing take a realistic view of what you are getting into and if someone tells you it can't be all that bad well I can tell about the one I dealt with and I say YES it can be that bad.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:16 AM

Last photo:

I have dealt with a car that was flooded before, however it was not totally underwater. I did not mean to offend you by saying it can't be that bad, but I believe it can be done if it's a car one wants to keep. I just hate to think of all the old iron that's going to be bought out and trashed in the name of insurance due to the hurricanes and floods, of which I am highly familiar with here in Northwest Florida. Every time I evacuate I never know what I may come back to (2 times last year). I never said it was easy or cheap. That's why you won't see these cars being turned around by any Tom, Dick or Harry sales lot.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.