Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hobart Champion 4500 welder
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Need more amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotxpanrider
I am looking for a portable gas operated welder for farm and ranch work. I was looking at the Hobart Champion 4500 welder at the local Tractor Supply Company. Their asking price was 1160.00. Is this a good welder for the above duty or in any of you all's opinion a better or comparable welder for less costly price.

thanks
That little welder only puts out about 135/140 amps at full boogy and is not the machine needed for farm and ranch... IMHO..

Save up some more cash and get the Lincoln Ranger, Miller Bobcat/Trailblazer or similar Hobart..these are 10 kw machines and have the moxie to weld on heavy farm equipment..

The right stuff is not cheap but then you will have it for the next 20 years so the god one is agood investment..BTW the larger welders can be adjusted to weld thin stuff like sheet metal but the little one will never weld the heavy equipment that is encountered on a ranch or farm..The 10 kw machines will drive a TIG or MIG as well..

My thoughts on this..and my experience..

OMT