Hot Rod Forum banner

Hobbist & Rodder

10K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  will wrench 
#1 ·
Hello All,

New to HR and I need some information. I tired of using the junk air couplers from HF or any Milton, Amflo or cheap brands. Can anyone give me some air coupler manufacturers of a good High flow pnuematic quick coupler? I need one that will last and not leak.

Any Suggestions.?

#4 ·
I'd like to know too. I replaced all my couplers with Milton hi-flo's a few years back (don't remember the part number) and most of them leak enough when left coupled that I can no longer leave them coupled unless I'm using them. My compressor went from cycling every 20 or 30 minutes to once or twice a day. Besides that, they're much hard to assemble when pressured up.

Russ

#7 ·
Old Fool said:
If you mean the male coupling is breaking off,that is due to not having a whip hose on the tool. Never couple up solid and expect it to last.

It sounds like he is talking about them simply leaking, the HF couplers and fittings SUCK and WILL leak right out of the box. After just a little use they REALLY leak bad. Nope, only the best for me, my compressor isn't big enough to be wasting air thru leaking junk.

Brian

#9 ·
Old Fool said:
They have rubber seals in them, try lubing them once in a while with some silicone spray.
I don't know about him but what I am referring to and I think this is part of what he is talking about are these nipples.

Even with a quality coupler these parts from HF or the like are JUNK and leak from the get-go. As far as oiling them, not in my shop or anywhere that painting is being done.

Brian

#10 ·
MARTINSR said:
I don't know about him but what I am referring to and I think this is part of what he is talking about are these nipples.

Even with a quality coupler these parts from HF or the like are JUNK and leak from the get-go. As far as oiling them, not in my shop or anywhere that painting is being done.

Brian
I guess you never lube your air tools either?

#12 ·
Of course I lube my tools. This is no big deal here, there is no reason to lube a quality coupler, never did it in my life and have some that are decades old that don't leak. I have quality couplers and nipples. Tried the cheap ones, they were junk, went back to the quality ones.

Brian

#13 ·
S10xGN said:
I'd like to know too. I replaced all my couplers with Milton hi-flo's a few years back (don't remember the part number) and most of them leak enough when left coupled that I can no longer leave them coupled unless I'm using them. My compressor went from cycling every 20 or 30 minutes to once or twice a day. Besides that, they're much hard to assemble when pressured up.

Russ
Milton has repair kits for many of their couplers.

#14 ·
Found the best air Coupler

I did some research and bought some couplers from Sherwin Williams Automotive they are Prevost Couplers. They have all the profile but what I was looking for was the High Flow style for the HVLP spray gun and the high demand air tool. These couplers work great and do not leak and this on pictured is the safety coupler, all you have to do is push the coupler once for disconnection. They are a composite but they are a robust heavy duty product and paid more for it but its worth it. I found out that Matco handles this product also. :)

Attachments

#16 ·
leaking fittings

I have a bunch of large couplings I bought cheap at the Ford Mustang Factory Closing parking lot sale In california. They used 3/4 hoses and are somewhere up on a shelf. just too bulky at the air tool or paint gun end. But they were good industrial quality.

#17 ·
The Airmax slogan / buzzword was "Pneumatic Energy", and they had it right.

Many of us don't worry too much about leaking air ... because air is free, right? :p

Well, if you start thinking in terms of "pneumatic energy" you soon realize that you are converting electric power to compressed air.

The compressor itself has replacement and maintenance costs, and we all know the electricity to run the compressor isn't free either.

Airmax also has a great line of those safety couplers, FRL's, urethane coiled hoses, etc.

Lubricators for air tools is one thing, but having ANY oil or silicone or even water present in air that is used for painting is a very bad thing.

NEVER use an air hose that has been used with air tool lubricant, or you will have a mess of fish-eyes in your paint job.

#18 ·
Sorry to dig up an old topic, but I'm trying to pick a replacement for my Milton Industrial connectors, and I'm looking at Milton-V. The pictures in this thread look a lot like the Milton-V, and they also look a lot like these from Grainger:

https://www.grainger.com/Grainger/LEGACY-Coupler-Plug-5LAJ4

Which are listed as "Global Style High-Flow" for their type.

Do all of these look like the same? I'm having trouble finding the V fittings locally, if these are V then I can at least get them at Grainger as opposed to only mailorder, which is something I would like to avoid.

#19 ·
They style you are looking for is called out a few different ways:
High Flow
V-Style
HVLP style
7.2 size

The plug pictured Grainger one you showed is made of aluminum, stay away from that, it wears very quickly look for harden steel product, Prevost make a high quality plug,

This plug will flow at 70 SCFM. You can get then at Sherwin Williams Automotive, Snap-On, Matco or any automtive paint supply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.