Hodrodders West Coast Gathering - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2008, 08:52 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hodrodders West Coast Gathering

A few weeks ago in this thread the subject of getting west coast members of HR.Com together at the Half Moon Bay car show on Sunday, April 27th was introduced.

I'm posting this so that any of you who are within a reasonable travel distance can get this date on your calenders and hopefully attend. Please post a note in this thread if you think you might be able to make it. The more folks who come, the more others might be encouraged to make it.

As luck would have it, I'm going to be in San Francisco the prior week to see my son, so I altered my flight plans and will be there at the show. Mikey and MartinSr are penciled in and Dinger is trying to arrange his schedule to make it as well. So please add to this list if you are thinking about coming. We'll map out some more specific plans for where we'll all hook up as the date gets a little closer. But for now, just see if you can fit it into your agenda. It's always fun to meet other members face to face...and this looks like a good opportunity to do that.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,029 Posts
I can't wait!

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008, 12:32 PM

Last photo:

i was the one who brought up half moon bay, i will try to make it but who knows. i have a lot of stuff going on right now. i would love to meet you guys. being a noob to this sight, through your posts-martian SR, mikey and C-boy have earned my deep respect. the half moon bay show is awesome. does anybody know if devils slide on highway 1 is open??? that's the way i have to come. hopefully i'll try to make half moon bay and meet you guys.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Sure would love to go and meet some of you guy's,I'm sure yall will have a good time.Maybe next time.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

I'll be there...

Mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 03-11-2008, 09:59 PM
FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!

Last journal entry: Swinger
Last photo:

I will try to be there. Depends on work and such. I'll know closer to the date. I have to go register the swinger first...
Old 03-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

I guess someone ought to post a link to the show..

Pacific coast dream machines..

http://www.miramarevents.com/dreammachines/index.html

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 03-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I'm working on it.....
Old 03-12-2008, 11:25 PM

Last photo:

And I have to tell you guys, I am not joking here, be IN TOWN no later than eight or nine in the morning, EARLIER if possible or you won't be getting in at all! I believe Devils Slide just north of Half Moon bay is open and operating. So, that makes three two lane roads into Half Moon bay. That's it folks, Hwy 92 from The east over to 101/880 Hwy 1 from north from Santa Cruz and south from San Fran on 1. You can get over to 1 at San Gregorio via Hwy 84, but that is it. All two lane most of the way, things get backed up REAL quick at events like this. 92 into Half Moon bay will be a parking lot from 10 am thru 2 pm or later.

You get into Half Moon bay EARLY and have breakfast then mosey over to the air port for the show. And get out of Dodge before the crowd starts leaving in the late afternoon.

This is one of the best shows ever in my opinion, there is everything from Army tanks to Indy cars. From 4 blown hemi tractor pullers to home built air planes. From restored 06 Model T's to Countachs, there will be everything ever used to move human beings.

I would really like to get with you guys for breakfast there in Half Moon bay.

Brian
Old 03-13-2008, 01:37 AM

Last photo:

martin sr. is right. all 2 lane windey roads. highway 1 in from the north and south, 92 from the east (that is the windiest road EVAR... . i used to attend every year in the 90s- 3 HRS with bumper to bumper traffic on a 2 lane road over devils slide in a vette was no fun- . i remember one year i saw a B17 and a B24 flying off the coast from highway 1 towards half moon bay, and thought "that is way cool", when i finally got to half moon bay they were parked on the runway. i think they were the planes from the Collens foundation. OH YEAH, the half moon bay airport is a great airport--a little strip of concrete in the middle of a field just off the coast with a few aluminum/ steel hangers on one side. half moon bay is the awesomest "whatever show" ever...

hey mikey, what about the watsonville fly in??? that is the greatest car show for airplane guys!!! one year some old geezer flew i replica of a blariot monoplane (first to fly across the english channel in (1906-1908???) from reno to watsonville and back. the watsonville fly in rates right up there with half moon bay...
Old 03-13-2008, 03:17 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
And I have to tell you guys, I am not joking here, be IN TOWN no later than eight or nine in the morning, EARLIER if possible or you won't be getting in at all! I believe Devils Slide just north of Half Moon bay is open and operating. So, that makes three two lane roads into Half Moon bay. That's it folks, Hwy 92 from The east over to 101/880 Hwy 1 from north from Santa Cruz and south from San Fran on 1. You can get over to 1 at San Gregorio via Hwy 84, but that is it. All two lane most of the way, things get backed up REAL quick at events like this. 92 into Half Moon bay will be a parking lot from 10 am thru 2 pm or later.

You get into Half Moon bay EARLY and have breakfast then mosey over to the air port for the show. And get out of Dodge before the crowd starts leaving in the late afternoon.

This is one of the best shows ever in my opinion, there is everything from Army tanks to Indy cars. From 4 blown hemi tractor pullers to home built air planes. From restored 06 Model T's to Countachs, there will be everything ever used to move human beings.

Brian
MARTINSR, i'm just pulling your chain, but isn't 880 in the east bay?? 280 is what i think you mean, 280 is the fastest freeway, you can speed down it with no cops chasing you down. i used to make all my high speed runs on 280 south of milbrea--100 to 150 MPH depending on the car i was driving. OH, and you could go over that big concrete bridge and look at "fred flintstone's" house--some millionair built, that house is cool, and it was in all the papers for years.
later...
Old 03-13-2008, 07:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Sounds like a great idea. Post up a time and place you'd like to eat at and Vaughn and I will be there (and possibly Sally - depending on her schedule).

Also, could the folks who have been at this show before suggest a good spot for all of us to meet up on the show grounds. We should set a time (like 10-10:30) to gather up. We could also plan to do lunch together at one of the concessions if that's possible. People will probably want to walk the show at their own pace, but if we had a couple of times designated to sit down and chat, that might work out well. But I'm totally open to other ideas as well.

And even though Brian suggests getting out of town before the crowd...if some folks want to take the OTHER alternative, of hanging around till the roads are cleared, we could also pick out a restaurant and have and early dinner after the show. I don't have to be to the S.F. airport until about 10 PM, so I'm up for just about anything for the afternoon.

Glad to see there is some interest in doing this. Looks like a great show.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techron
MARTINSR, i'm just pulling your chain, but isn't 880 in the east bay?? 280 is what i think you mean, 280 is the fastest freeway, you can speed down it with no cops chasing you down. i used to make all my high speed runs on 280 south of milbrea--100 to 150 MPH depending on the car i was driving. OH, and you could go over that big concrete bridge and look at "fred flintstone's" house--some millionair built, that house is cool, and it was in all the papers for years.
later...
Yes 880 is in the east bay. I didn't explain myself well. First of all I should have said "92 from the east and 101/880", and I could have included 280 as well.

But 92 and 84 both come all the way from 880 on the other side of the bay, and further of course. I never use 280, I live off 880 so I used it. My point is, if you are on 880 you can exit at 92 at Hayward going west and go all the way to Half Moon bay, or you could exit 880 on 84 at Fremont and go all the way to San Gergorio at Hwy 1 and then drive north on 1 to Half Moon bay.

That is a stunning drive, just beautiful. Where 84 and 35 meet is a motorcycle hang out called "Alice's Restaurant" (I haven't been there in years I assume it is still called that) where the parking lots are always filled with bikes on weekends. 35 is "Skyline" and people on bikes get pretty serious out there!

Right off 84 on the way out to 1 is Memorial park, a nice little county park district camp ground where I used to stay every Oct for a few days. We would make our way up to Half Moon bay for the Pumpkin Festival, another Half Moon Bay yearly festivity.

This is some of the most beautiful areas on this Gods earth.

Brian

Old 03-13-2008, 08:01 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
Sounds like a great idea. Post up a time and place you'd like to eat at and Vaughn and I will be there (and possibly Sally - depending on her schedule).

Also, could the folks who have been at this show before suggest a good spot for all of us to meet up on the show grounds. We should set a time (like 10-10:30) to gather up. We could also plan to do lunch together at one of the concessions if that's possible. People will probably want to walk the show at their own pace, but if we had a couple of times designated to sit down and chat, that might work out well. But I'm totally open to other ideas as well.

And even though Brian suggests getting out of town before the crowd...if some folks want to take the OTHER alternative, of hanging around till the roads are cleared, we could also pick out a restaurant and have and early dinner after the show. I don't have to be to the S.F. airport until about 10 PM, so I'm up for just about anything for the afternoon.

Glad to see there is some interest in doing this. Looks like a great show.

The gates open at 10 am, from what I remember there wasn't too much of a crowd at that time so you can drive right in. But I haven't made the show in about four years and who knows what has changed. This is the little place I wanted to meet with you guys at. This is one of the coolest little places around. The main street Grille (click here) has a fun atmosphere with the owner, an old guy with a handlebar mustache singing along with the jazz standards that he plays. And the fried banana omelet that is mentioned on the home page of the web site is reallllllllllllyyyyyyyy gooooooood.... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. They open at 8am so if we are there at eight and eat and get over to the show (about four miles from there) it will be fine. Cutting it a little close, but should be fine.

Inside the show they have a food court yard with live bands playing thru-out the day.

One thing to remember guys, this is right on the ocean, it may be "sunny California" but there it may be foggy and windier than heck. Dress accordingly.

As for hanging around town until the crowds clear, oh yes, I go there all the time so I am thinking get the heck home! But if this is a trip out here for you, God yes stay around! There are a lot of nice sea food resturants and the little old down town is very cool with coffee and desert shops.

The Half Moon bay brewery (Click here) is walking distance from the show. It's very nice with a view of the little harbor.

Here are some other things you could do there..click here

Below on the map you can see the old down town area where the Main Street Grille is located, right where it says "Half Moon Bay". Then up north from there you can see the airport where the show is.

Brian

Old 03-13-2008, 10:00 AM

Last photo:

Great info Brian.

How about this for a rough schedule. Add, alter, or edit as you see fit until we come up with something that looks good to everybody.

8:00 a.m. - Breakfast at Main Street Grill - Wear something identifiable.

10:30 - Rendezvous at the food court on the show grounds for a meet 'n greet with those who couldn't make breakfast. Then do some walking of the show grounds.

Noon - Lunch at the Food Court - and a chance for late comers to hook up with the group and to get back together if we get scattered.

2:00 - Rendezvous - R&R - chat at the food court to share a bunch of lies about our car building!!!!!

We might also want to consider adding some "Warm Up" events to the get together. Vaughn's band will be playing up the coast at San Fransisco's Park Chalet from 6:30 to 9:30 on Tuesday night, the 22nd. Dorothy and I will be there throughout the show, either eating or in the lounge or just hanging out. If ANY of you think you can make that show post up here and we'll figure out a way to hook up.

The Park Chalet is a supposed to be a pretty decent place to eat and it's on the ocean. It will be "Taco Tuesday" so if you plan to eat...call ahead for reservations. Between the band and the food, it can get VERY crowded. We just had friends go to see Vaughn play there two weeks ago and they were told at the door it was a 1 1/2 hour wait. Luckily Vaughn spied them and got them a table right away...but he can't promise that for everybody.

Feel free to add any other preliminary activities that might make sense.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.