Hot Rod Forum banner

Hoist Help

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ogre 
#1 ·
:) I have a 4 post hoist and am having trouble loading my rides unto them. Each ride has a different track width and as a result I'm all over the hoist in loading, because I have no body guiding me unto the ramps.:( If My friend helps me then there is no problem, but when he's not around what can I do to make the loading easier and making sure the car is centered on the ramps. I've been jumping in and out of the car at least 1/2 dozen times to get it centered on the ramps, but that is a bore and time consuming. Any advice or tips that I may use to make it easier?:confused: Incidentally the ramps do not have any side guides that will enable the wheels to rub against.

#2 ·
Line up a car on the hoist Drop a soft ball on a string in the center permanently attached from the ceiling so it touches your windshield in the center and almost any car you line up when that ball touches the center or mid point of the windshield should be pretty close or you can put a large mirror in front of the hoist and see yourself as you pull 0n the hoist! I used those Mirror tiles that glue on a wall! :thumbup:

Jester

#3 · (Edited)
I put a black duct tape line down the center of my shop and put a mirror on the wall in front of shop. When I pull in I lean over so my head is in the center of the car and then looking in the mirror in the front of the shop I make sure the center of the license plate aligns with the duct tape on the floor. Easy Peazy.

The tennis ball trick is a good one. I use them in my 3 car garage at the house. Doesn't work so well with a lift though as the ball rolls around on the vehicle when the car gets raised, and the tennis ball is in the way when the car is not on the lift.

#4 ·
Can you do something to provide a visual guide to go by at the front of the hoist? Like tape a couple of sticks to the sides. Harbor freight had some magnetic base guides with a ball at the top used by guys lining up a trailer. Perhaps a couple of those at the end of the hoist might work.

Sam

#5 ·
:) Lakeroadster, that is one narrow shop! I have a bench in front of the hoist and placing any mirrors there may be a bit of a problem. I've tried the ball trick, but as it was said, you have to make sure that you don't get "strung-up":drunk: and you do have that ball rotating from one side or the other. Too bad it can't be like a yo-yo where it retracts as the car goes up. Hadn't considered Harbor Freight and the trailer balls. Have to think on that one.

#7 ·
I just thought of this LOL , I have a gun laser pointer and was just thinking it could be mounted to point on the center of the windshield from a very small area in the front of the hoist. The lasers for kids BB guns are very cheep and you could mark a spot on your bench to mount it or drill 2 small holes so every time you mounted it it would point in the same place and once the car is in you can remove the laser! Or even use one of those cheap laser dog or cat toys LOL with a fabricated mount LOL

Jester

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.