Hoists for restoration work? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2010, 11:12 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hoists for restoration work?

I decided to pick up a Jet manual chain hoist and I also have a 1.5T electric winch. And a gantry crane with a trolley. The issue I have with the electric winch is it's probably not rated high enough for a vertical lift. I'm guessing only 600 lbs. But even with a larger capacity winch, don't they all have some kind of lag for the braking system? My winch states 1-ish second, and that sounds like a problem for final alignment, etc.

The chain hoist is perfect for control, but those dang chains are just in the way, especially for lifting a body. So... I have this bright idea on how to rig the chain hoist. Here's a photo chop of my idea. Just pretend there's a lower block chain hook attached to the trolley. Part of the control chain is also missing, but y'all get the idea.

Ok, that's it. I'm looking for your thoughts or experiences on this or any other suggestions that don't cost a grand or three, such as an electric chain hoist.

In this design, I know I'd be pulling the chain off a portion of the chain gear, but should be compensated by the similar wheel gear on the trolley hook. Maybe not? Tnx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 11:26 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

we would often just use two chain hoists, one on each side.
if needed, you just build a sling to hook in the middle.
but with two, you get to control the height of each side individually.
plus you can lift twice as much (if your a-frame can support that much weight)
Old 12-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Just a note, all the chain hoists I have seen specifically say in the manual "not to be used for horizontal pulling". I imagine it affects the braking mechanism.

I would use electric hoists, they are the same price anyway and a cable will work better on a pulley. I just bought a 12VDC electric 2000lb Superwinch (LT2000) for $80CDN which comes with pendant and is ready to run, should be about $60 in the USA.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:19 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I have used engine hoists (cherry pickers) to remove/replace bodies with success, but a lot of care and rigging is required to prevent "accidents". In your picture, the trolley that rolls from side to side would have to be locked into position in order to stay fixed when the side load from your re-directed chains are applied. I considered a rolling gantry on which to install my son's air driven hoist. I opted to fabricate and install a fixed overhead track system that would let me cover a large area and not take up floor space when not in use. The hoist was free: the trolleys and steel were not cheap, but it went in for about $600 and a lot of work. One of the best investments in the shop. Right now, the hoist is supporting the rear of a Corvair Van while I am preping it to cut the top off. I am also preping a Corvair Rampside to cut off the bed cap and cab. The hoist will remove the van top and then transfer the bed cap and cap to the van. When every thing is finished, the hoist will provide all the heavy lifting of the finished product as well as all the residual junk that will go to the scrap yard. I would not attempt this project without the hoist system.

Trees
Old 01-13-2011, 06:44 PM

Last photo:

Here's the final and it works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Body lift and dolly 004.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	51687   Click image for larger version

Name:	mms_picture1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	51688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Body lift and dolly 002.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	51689   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0569.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	51690   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0573.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	51691  

Old 01-13-2011, 06:54 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

thats great
Old 01-18-2011, 11:41 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
Just a note, all the chain hoists I have seen specifically say in the manual "not to be used for horizontal pulling". I imagine it affects the braking mechanism.

I would use electric hoists, they are the same price anyway and a cable will work better on a pulley. I just bought a 12VDC electric 2000lb Superwinch (LT2000) for $80CDN which comes with pendant and is ready to run, should be about $60 in the USA.

eh... manuals, what are those, lol... we use chain falls to pull horizontal all the time at work, everything from 600lb clutches to turbine engines, it is a PITA to pull horizontal until you have tension on the system but after that it works

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.