Hot Rod Forum banner

HoK Kandy Basecoat and primer questions

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  mrcleanr6 
#1 ·
I know this isn't a hotrod but you guys' know a lot about paint and are a little more courteous than some of the lowrider pages that i've visited.

I have this '83 Coupe and I bought it already primered. The trunk and hood have mild cracking and I want to know if I should reprimer these areas or redo the whole car?

After I'm done with that, I want to spray an Kandy Oriental Blue Shimrin basecoat. It's my first paint job and I've been told that the KBC from HOK is great for beginners and mimics a kandy finish. What I'm going for i a white top with blue body. Any suggestions on what white paint would go good with this system and under the KBC?

See less See more
#2 ·
since you bought it primered you really need to see what kind of primer is on the car. it will help by taking a rag with a little acetone on it and see if it wipes off. a laquer primer or just a 1k primer (which you dont want) will wipe right off and should be removed. if the primer doesn't wipe off and appears to be somewhat chemical resistant then your are probably ok as long as you feel comfortable leaving someone elses prep work as the base for your finish. at a minimum i would remove the cracked stuff on the trunk and hood. the kbc system works good. its a candy dye thats mixed into a clear base then they add pearls or metallics to it. a couple tips, dont use a white base, use a base color similar to the color of the kbc such as so-blu. this will make it much easier for a beginner to get an even colored finish and less blotchy. also, especially with any candy and definately since you are unsure of primer and bondo, etc. spray a coat or 2 of the ko-seal and let dry for an hour or 2 before you start with the base. problem here is bondo absorbs candy dyes like a sponge and if that old primer isn't thick enough or doesn't have enought holdout then everything will go fine until you get to about the third coat of candy and you will see a light spot the size of the bondo patch where it has sucked the dye right out of the kbc base. not all colors do this, about 60% of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.