HOK Orion Silver... wrinkles... always. Why? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006, 08:53 PM

Last journal entry: metal finish
Wiki Edits: 0

HOK Orion Silver... wrinkles... always. Why?

Ok so ive shot hok orion silver on numerous occasions.. 9 out of 10 times it wrinkles up in places.(this has only happened to me with this specific paint). today i tried a bunch of different things such as different temp reducers... sealed with hok sealer... sealed with epoxy sealer.. dusted coats.. layed wet coats. warmer room temp.. cooler room temp.. i have no idea how to fix this or stop this from happening.. one thing is for sure though... i will never ever ever buy this garbage again.. someone give me some advice.. heres a pic.. this one wrinkle is huge.. if u look close u will see smaller ones..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2006, 09:43 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Your just getting OLD bro. Hahahaha. Welcome to the club.
It's just Wet on Wet.Not enough flash between coats or the sealer ain't dry enough or you need a faster reducer.
Go ask Craig.
Craig
Old 10-20-2006, 09:46 PM

i seem to have tried all of that.. idk what it is.. other hok metallics dont do this to me either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee4Me
Your just getting OLD bro. Hahahaha. Welcome to the club.
It's just Wet on Wet.Not enough flash between coats or the sealer ain't dry enough or you need a faster reducer.
Go ask Craig.
Craig
Old 10-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

I don't know either. Main reason I don't use HOK Silver. Might ask Jim C. aka mrcleaner6 at SPI's board too. Craig Fraser will know or at least give you "some" answer as to why it's wrinkling,but MY experience is,it's just still TOO wet.I've learned the HARD way with Silver and giving it a L-O-N-G flash time,even with Chromabase before recoating or followed with kandy,which is even worse.
It's GOT to be wet'er to flow out right and that = longer flash time.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:17 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,233 Times in 1,086 Posts
It can also happen if the sealer is applied a little heavy in one area and hasn't flashed. The reason in a nut shell is solvents,period. So you have to find out, what is causing the sovlent to get under the substrate. If the "substrate" is the first coats of silver, what is causing it to get under that first coat? Is it that the coat is too thin in those areas and it has "kicked" being partially cured? Or is it too thick and the solvent is keeping it soft? One way or another solvent is getting under the substrate, what ever that "substrate" is.

Look over that area and find if it is a place that gets "double coated" like at the edge of a fender where it gets coated when you paint the door AND when you paint the fender. Those are prime areas for problems with solvents.

Look to see if in that area the substrate was sanded thin, that is another way solvents can get under the substrate.

One thing we know for sure, people paint that silver all over the country every single day, it can't be happening to all of them!

Brian
Old 10-21-2006, 06:39 AM

Last photo:

Like they said "its all sealer"

Looks like to heavy in spots like a second quick coat in a spot to hide something is the most common reason.

SOME, sealers can do that with just one coat if you wait to long before applying the base also.

A true sealer is tight and does not breath good so its not made for filling a last minute flaw, you are always better off to either let the sealer set and sand out the minor flaw or sand the flaw out after a couple coats of base but never apply a second coat of sealer to that spot.

The size of wrinkle looks like there is a fair amount of sealer there.

Edit:
One other thing I just thought of as a lot of times this is the culprit.
Sealer should be applied with your base coat gun and I have seen a lot of problems like this where people would use a primer gun with a bigger tip to apply the sealer.

Last edited by BarryK; 10-21-2006 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:27 AM

Last photo:

It could also be your undercoats, using any lacquer primers?
Old 10-21-2006, 08:56 AM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

My take is your probably spraying everything too heavy. That in turn increases the dry times and also loads on extra reducer when you base. Uncured substrate coated with reducer will always give you a lift. I know because I spray heavy too. So add some dry time or turn down the volume.

Also, this time of year seems to be the time for lifting issues. Watch your temps as a small drop in temp needs a big increase in dry time.

Larry
Old 10-21-2006, 10:48 AM

hok orion silver is the only silver i spray for overalls, and custom jobs,.i have had it happened to me once and it was because i didnt give the sealer enough flash time,it wasnt cured enough, also i always spray light coats of the orion silver i never put it on to heavy. so some times it does have a rough texture, so when i get it covered i will let it dry completely go in with a piece of 800 and a water bottle sand the base lightly, very lightly , than put one nice dropcoat.i havent had a problem with it in quite a while, hok products are hot, so it is more of an issue to let it flash in between coats for a while, and as far as the sealer i will let sealer sit 2-3 hours sometimes depending on the temp. before i ever start spraying my base. hope this helps, mike.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:36 AM

well its been sitting overnight now.. im going to go over there in a little bit resand it and see what happens.. Ive thought about a few things.. this car is a nissan skyline imported from japan.. it was repaint a candy blue before it was sent over.. i dont know what they use over there for paint.. one thing i do know it was a hack job.. I use a 1.4 for sealer and base. i did let all of the stuff flash and the spots arent in overlap areas.. i thought about that for a while. im going to let it sit for about an hour between coats and see how that works.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,233 Times in 1,086 Posts
It it was a "hack" job it may not have been sanded well. When you sanded it you could have sanded the previous paint/primer/sealer what ever down thin. Then your sealer wasn't as "hot" as the silver so it held it down ok. The sealer maybe wasn't totally cured, it was a little thin maybe and not a barrier. So the hotter solvents in the silver got thru to get UNDER the "hack" job because it wasn't sanded well and not adhering, allowing the solvent to get under it.

Brian
Old 10-21-2006, 08:14 PM
Last photo:

My vote goes for spraying too heavy and not waiting long enough for the next coat. I had a very similar problem recently when I had to redo the doors on my 34. I had an almost identical spot like your photo appear at the top of one window opening. The resident paint guru took one look at it, told me to allow a little dry time then wet sand it out. Mist on a coat real light, wait about 20 to 30 minutes then mist on another light coat. Eventually I built up enough base to completely hide the repaired spot.

Vince
Old 10-21-2006, 08:31 PM

thanks guys..i finished it up today.. i just waited about 45 minutes between coats and put them on really light. i will post finished pics within the next few days..
Old 10-22-2006, 09:15 AM
Buick Hybrid Guy.

Last photo:

If you've got a good prep'd surface of a existing paint job there is NO reason to use sealer!!!! Go direcly to basecoat!!!!!!
Sealer will only cause problems like you've been having and will have at least a 10% reduction of gloss in the clear.

If you break through sanding on the existing paint job your better to prime those areas and prep them than put a wet sealer down.

I spray Sikkens and HOK alot.

Your picture there says exactly what the others here stated. Not enough flash time/too cold temp or too heavy coats possbly all three.
On metallic's you've got a decent window so don't rush. Especialy if your not in a down draft booth that's heated. I had alot of problems spraying in a open floor. With the down draft booth I have now i've almost forgotten what it's like to have paint problems!

I feel like going back in there and spraying with out flash time but it realy will cost you more time rushing it.

Good luck,
Scott~
Old 10-22-2006, 10:16 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

Thats true Scott but you should also know a lot of HOK scheams are using the sealer for a base coat or for the correct primer shade underneith.
I personaly hate the stuff and if I can come up with a way around it,I will every time. But yeah, colder weather painting is a time consuming ordeal some days.
Most painters try to follow the "directions" with their stuff and it WILL get you into trouble sometimes as like said above,their reducers are HOT and can really eat into substraits.

Just so's you won't feel so bad B here is some of my "better" work. Hehehehe.
This happened on the last coat of kandy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05432.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	15694  

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.