HOK paint shooting car in sections - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011, 12:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

HOK paint shooting car in sections

Im working on a project usung HOK Shimrim metalics and was planning on painting the car by sections at home.
Here the plan;

Shooting final coat of primer no less than a week prior, and wet sanding 1-2 days before shooting
In one day. Shooting HOK KoSeal white, followed by 3-4 coats of HOK Shimrin Metalic, followed by 2-3 coats of clear.

Im know this is not the preferred method of doing a paint job by sections and I know I will be wasting a lot of product, etc.. but my questions is will the color vary by panel since Im doing it in sections 2-3 weeks apart and a slight temperate difference?

Colors are HOK Shimrin Galaxy Grey and HOK Shimrin Orion Silver metallcis

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011, 12:42 PM

Last photo:

First off i will tell you that HOK is one of the more difficult paints i have used. I would not recommend painting the car in sections with this line of paint unless you paint everything at the same time which is still a risk imo. If you are painting different parts on different days i would 100% say no to that. i have done it personally with Hok and it makes it even worse since it is a metallic. Too many variables to be messed with. Hoped this helped.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

2x on that..i would not even load the gun until I had the car fully assembled and ready...of course the primer and sealer is done and ready when using HOK anything..Only way I know to a section job is by using solid colors..

Sam
Old 10-10-2011, 02:01 PM

i did this once with hok. didnt come out right. i would say do it all at once and hang the parts how they would be placed on the car.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:38 PM

Last photo:

Thank You

Thank You.. Thats exactly what I was afraid of.. Im gonna have to take a day off of work and rent myself a paint booth.
A buddy of mine told me this and didnt believe it.. I though to myself its not a custom color mix or anything and didnt figure it would make a difference
Old 10-10-2011, 05:40 PM

Last photo:

What about.....

Since Im doing a two tone top and botom, can I shoot the bottom section one day and the top the other day.. Then clear coat with the second half on the second day? I know I would probably have to consider the recoat window also..
Old 10-10-2011, 07:21 PM

Last photo:

I will agree with the other guys. You are setting yourself up for an almost guaranteed mismatch in the panels, and you will get tired of people pointing at it and whispering to their friends "It doesn't match". {:-)
Old 10-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Elcamino
Since Im doing a two tone top and botom, can I shoot the bottom section one day and the top the other day.. Then clear coat with the second half on the second day? I know I would probably have to consider the recoat window also..
Check the directions. These guys spend a lot of bucks figuring all this stuff out for the painter, there may be a few exceptions but there is also the element of risk involved by not following their recommendations. Most I have seen is about a 12 hour window. You can cut some time off the paint by shooting them in the a.m., buy some of the 3m tape (blue?)that allows you to tape the section off and reshoot the other half a few hours after the first coat. Then you can clear.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,230 Times in 1,083 Posts
I can not agree more, you are setting yourself up for disappointment sure as poop stinks. This is VERY difficult even for the pro (I have worked with MANY pros who couldn't pull it off).

It blows me away how many cars I will see at a show, we are talking high dollar rods with panels that don't match! ARRRRRRRG this is like going out on the town with pillow head.

Brian
Old 10-11-2011, 09:49 AM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

You should be-able to do the two colors on different days. Omni has a 24 hr window and you can push that a little I've went to 32-48 hrs. The main thing you want to watch for is any dust or over-spray on the first color. Or you could clear your first color scuff and re-clear when you clear the second color.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:18 PM

Last photo:

Thanks

Thanks Guys.. Yeah I guess its all about risk.. I sure would hate to have to have to do it all over again. Im just gonna be patient prep the car, take a day or two off of work and rent a spray booth. Im just embarassed to pull it out of a booth in front of experts if it goes bad...

Anybody have any idea places that wilol rent a spray booth in the Los Angeles/San Gabriel Valley area?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.