Hola - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2004, 05:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hola

Hola.

Been browsing the forums a little starting last night and some threads have been particularly insightful. Especially the one with what some of you fiends manage on vehicles with a $1340 budget and $30 a week..

Seeing as it looks like I'm stuck living with the folks for possibly another year unless school kicks in..

Touched route on computers.. no fun for work, just for play there so looking to use UPS's school money to take some auto tech classes. Maybe I can get some free labor out of those cats on my own light project..uh, to the meat.

Up to $3000 in savings to start, was going to blow it on my 88 Camaro RS with the 2.8 V6 but some threads have veered me away from that.. much like my dad and his drag racing friend..heh.
Planning to get a starters loan with parents co-signing for 1-2k
Then it's time to find a novice project car..

Considering a 1980 trans am with no motor/trans, little rust for about $1k. (Guy at work suggested dropping a crate engine in this one) I like this particular option because I have to have a manual trans.. and nothing comes with one..it may actually be too powerful for me though.

A 1976 'vette, 4speed with a rebuilt 327, t-tops, needs restoring..$3k

There's also a guy nearby selling a running 84' Firebird SE with a 305, 5spd, 4bbl..playing with a carb sounds alot more fun than various TPI, MFI and whatnot systems..($2k here)

Partial to just about any year firebirds..camaros but the more collectable ones are not likely to slip into my price range.

In all reality I just want Rubberman's Z28 but these are my current options..I've got some things going for me.. a driveway to put the car, a garage for more delicate part storage and I wont be driving the project since my camaro acts as a work car..so not exactly going to be paying huge v8 insurance that I can't yet afford. Patience has been excellent here.. not rushing into something over my head or without suitable reward..

Looking for advice on some of the cars, potential concepts above.
Imp

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2004, 12:37 AM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

Sup.

What part of Dallas do you live? There is some nice projects over here in Drunkinville you might like, heck there is some good project cars sittin im my yard you might want.

Shane.
77 Chevy truck.
85 Honda Prelude.
37 Willys sedan.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:07 AM

Big, fat, Garland, Texas.

Got anything muscle car oriented out there? Well.. my dad wants a 40's Ford truck to haul his scooter around..I wouldn't be surprised if you cats in Duncanville had a few old rides tucked away..

Man, partying on the occaision turning of 21 today..(added the belt notch on the 20th..a tuesday)

Wish I had some friends of age, that had some money..but Dad's biker trash friends will be cool anough at the titty bars..

I'll live.

Imp
Old 04-24-2004, 04:53 PM

Last photo:

Well good luck in the choosing, it is tough.

You want my car LOL thats funny, why would you want it hehe?????

Let us know, you can pm me if you like about anything
Old 04-24-2004, 05:26 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

Well I'm as po as they come, but I got a engine hoist and a good set of tools, that's all I need.

Unless you don't mind a ratty interior, a older Camaro will be a big project. I haven't seen one for cheap that had a nice interior.

Fox body Mustangs are pretty well built, and they do well with bolt on mods.

4.3L V6 S-10 trucks/Blazers are a pretty good bang for your buck.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:20 PM

I love the third generation camaros, I just wish mine was faster..

It's not like I tail Z28's on the street (when I can keep up) just to drool at them and daydream..*cough*

That little 2.8 keeps me humble though.. especially when my dad romps me in his Kia..

What kind of insurance rates you guys paying on cars with a 350 in them? As seems the magic number over here, for kids under 25, basic liability?

Clean records:
My friend drives an 85 Maxima with a 3.0 V6 (80.00 per month)
I got the 88 Camaro RS with the 2.8 V6 (180.00 per month)

I'm afraid what a 350 would look like for me, if I could get it insured at all..

Also, at what year are auto's 'pre-emission' for inspection? It seems like working a car that has to pass an emission test is going to be out of my range.

Looking into taking the 'auto service technician' course at the local community college come August or so, then engine performance. Any advice on this?

Yeah.. rambling, muddled and tired. I'll end here. Take care.
Imp
Old 05-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

How much insurance do you pay?

Lets see about $300 a month. That's full coverage on my pro-street 53 Chevy 210 and my 93 Riv and my wifes 2002 Ford Focusa and 100/300 liability on a 74 Dodge PU truck , my 93 Chevy conversion van and a 69 GTO clone and my daughters Toyota Celicia ST. Then there is the 64 Chevell SS and the 65 Chevelle sedan and my 37 Dodge business coupe, all with fire and theft.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 05-09-2004, 08:03 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally posted by FASTCHEVY
Well I'm as po as they come, but I got a engine hoist and a good set of tools, that's all I need.

Unless you don't mind a ratty interior, a older Camaro will be a big project. I haven't seen one for cheap that had a nice interior.

Fox body Mustangs are pretty well built, and they do well with bolt on mods.

4.3L V6 S-10 trucks/Blazers are a pretty good bang for your buck.
Another option is the retired police Crown Victorias and Caprices. They've already got a lot of heavy duty parts. Unless you enjoy breaking parts.....

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.