Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hole in the engine block- What to do?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWCarpentry
I am restoring a 1974 Ford F100 -360 engine. After the rebuild- full engine restore- we put the engine in the truck and made the minor adjustments and it started and ran good, but we noticed water/anti-freeze dripping from the back of the engine at the block - bell-housing seam.
We ran two treatments of Bars Stop Leak tablets through the system and could only slow the leak down. We re-pulled the engine and the freeze plug was OK, but we noticed a small dimple in the cast iron where a small bead of water dripping. I was able to take an awl and with a little pressure put the awl into the block - water jacket area. The hole is approximately 3/16" diameter.
Discussed this situation with a cast iron welder and he stated to risky to weld, it appears to be to weak of a spot. ANY IDEAS?
Could I set a screw in the hole and epoxy the screw to plug the hole? Would I need to tap the hole? Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.
Thanks.
You put 2 cans of bars in a new engine. Whatever you end up doing to fix it make sure you flush all that crap out. It will ruin your radiator or heater core in no time at all.

If you can drill and tap the hole and put a plug in it with some sealer on it

Chet