Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hole in the engine block- What to do?
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 10:15 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWCarpentry
I am restoring a 1974 Ford F100 -360 engine. After the rebuild- full engine restore- we put the engine in the truck and made the minor adjustments and it started and ran good, but we noticed water/anti-freeze dripping from the back of the engine at the block - bell-housing seam.
We ran two treatments of Bars Stop Leak tablets through the system and could only slow the leak down. We re-pulled the engine and the freeze plug was OK, but we noticed a small dimple in the cast iron where a small bead of water dripping. I was able to take an awl and with a little pressure put the awl into the block - water jacket area. The hole is approximately 3/16" diameter.
Discussed this situation with a cast iron welder and he stated to risky to weld, it appears to be to weak of a spot. ANY IDEAS?
Could I set a screw in the hole and epoxy the screw to plug the hole? Would I need to tap the hole? Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.
Thanks.

how far further has it rusted out though than the hole you made ?
What about the other waterways - time for a new block I fear

Stephen