Hot Rod Forum banner

Holes

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Goldduster360 
#1 ·
On my torino it used to have trim that went down the side of the car on both sides, I saw this as making it look to much like a slow driving grandpas car so i took it off, but i have holes in the side where some of the fastners were at, any ideas on how to patch them up?

#2 ·
Basicly those holes would need to be MIG welded(wire fed welder) and kinda slow with short bursts from the welder so not to get heat building up and warping the area. Take your time. Sometimes a construction nail can be held with the head of the nail helping fill the hole and grinding the point off after. Have a cold wet rag handy to quick cool and shrink the area back as you go. On bigger holes like an antenna hole a nickel or a quarter with a nail tacked to it will make the perfect plug. Kinda cool putting money into cars:thumbup:

#3 ·
I had a similar problem with welding up holes in the chassis of my F1 (drilled them in the wrong place). I find welding up holes a bit difficult so I found it easier to clamp a piece of copper plate behind the hole and then welded as normal. The weld won't stick to the copper, it takes a lot of the heat away and it makes it much easier to fill the hole.
Just an idea but it might be useful for you.

Hellz

#4 ·
Sounds good will defenitally give it a shot, thats what i was thinkin was puttin another peice of metal behind or something and puttin bondo on it but those make much more sense.

#5 ·
Ok, that was the right way to do it. Know here's how it gets done in 99% of peoples back yards: Take a ball peen hammer and gently sink the holes down about a 1/16". Grind the paint off around the holes and apply body filler. Block sand it, prime it, block sand it some more and then take it to Econo and get it re-painted.

If you have access to the back side of the panel with the holes putting some fiberglass matt behind the holes before applying filler will keep the filler from falling through the holes.

I have some paint jobs that are over 15 yrs old that have had this done and they still look great. If you can weld it's probably less work and no doubt a better job to fill the holes with molten metal but it's not absolutely necessary. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.