Holes in crankcase area? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2014, 12:05 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Holes in crankcase area?

Hi. Opened up my daughter's modified 2.8L Blazer ('85). I want to replace the crank and rod bearings but saw these holes in the crank area (pls see pic). Some research shows they might be ok but want to check before I continue with this rebuild. This truck has a Holley 4bbl, headers, RV cam and some big-ish rubber and I'd really like to help my girl out with her truck. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Block holes.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	141650  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2014, 03:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer guy View Post
Hi. Opened up my daughter's modified 2.8L Blazer ('85). I want to replace the crank and rod bearings but saw these holes in the crank area (pls see pic). Some research shows they might be ok but want to check before I continue with this rebuild. This truck has a Holley 4bbl, headers, RV cam and some big-ish rubber and I'd really like to help my girl out with her truck. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Tom

those holes are the oil drain back holes
i cant rember what years had what engines but if that was originally a carbed engine u would have been much better off buying an jy engine out of a later fuel injected , or tbi injected 2.8

alll fuel injected engines had better higher flowing heads
and all injected engines have a better crankshaft as they have large journals and are not prone to breaking and or spinning bearings

another option would have been to get a 3.1 or 3.4L engine out of a camaro/firebird and swap over ur carb intake and carb
3.1 would have been a 40+ hp jump up
3.4 would have been over a 60+ hp jump up from the 2.8

both the 3.1 and 3.4 are direct bolt ins , the only exception on the 3.4 is u need to reuse ur 2.8 timing cover and oil pan , though in the truck i belive the 3.4 oil pan clears the k member
Old 04-28-2014, 03:46 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

. Put bearings from a 4.3L V6 in there... and snag the whole 4.3L V6 engine/tranny along with the bearings... LOL! ... night and day difference in performance over the 2.8L...
Old 04-29-2014, 06:52 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzLOL View Post
. Put bearings from a 4.3L V6 in there... and snag the whole 4.3L V6 engine/tranny along with the bearings... LOL! ... night and day difference in performance over the 2.8L...

nm..............

Last edited by Project89; 04-29-2014 at 07:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Project89 For This Useful Post:
jokerZ71 (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 08:25 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys. I like the idea of putting a bigger engine in there so will investigate costs vs my rebuild. Just found that I can move the rods about 165 thou side to side, probably not good right?

My daughter put ~$1700 bucks into fixing a clunk and the garage put new cam/lifters/timing chain. Still clunks. I was trying to avoid opening the top end but with the pistons banging around in there, it'll have to happen.

Having fun - always wanted to build a car.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:01 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

. Yeah, we hate throwing big money at a problem... instead of finding out the real problem and just fixing it... find a used 4.3L Blazer ('89 or newer) on a car lot and let your daughter drive it... she'll be shocked at the difference and want the bigger engine... plus, the 4.3L is simply 3/4's of a Chevy 350 90 degree V8 and so parts are super cheap compared to 2.8L parts, which is a German 60 degree V engine or something... and a guy on here has a current thread going on 4.3L build up if more power desired later...

. Floor a 2.8L to pass another vehicle and you just get more noise in a bigger vehicle... a 4.3L takes off...
Old 04-30-2014, 01:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzLOL View Post
. Yeah, we hate throwing big money at a problem... instead of finding out the real problem and just fixing it... find a used 4.3L Blazer ('89 or newer) on a car lot and let your daughter drive it... she'll be shocked at the difference and want the bigger engine... plus, the 4.3L is simply 3/4's of a Chevy 350 90 degree V8 and so parts are super cheap compared to 2.8L parts, which is a German 60 degree V engine or something... and a guy on here has a current thread going on 4.3L build up if more power desired later...

. Floor a 2.8L to pass another vehicle and you just get more noise in a bigger vehicle... a 4.3L takes off...
actually the 2.8/3.1/3/4 is not german , while the 4.3 makes more power stock, the 60* engine is stronger , and if u know what ur doing will outperform the 4.3 for pennys
Old 04-30-2014, 02:43 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

. LOL! ... I'd rather put the "pennies" into a 4.3L...
Old 04-30-2014, 10:13 PM

Last photo:

Uh oh did I start a flame war? I totally get both your guys' opinions and now have to scratch my head and "assess the opportunities". Project 89 I appreciate your thoughts on the 2.8, most people slag it heartily! Buzzlol, I'd love to drop the 4.3 injected in there but I'd have a holley 570cfm left over, 2 sets of headers, brand new eddy cam/lifters...

I'm leaning towards honoring my daughter's expenditure with a rebuild of the 2.8. At least it's got the big journals and 1 pc crank seal. Also, with the 4.3 don't I have to change transmissions? The one in the truck now was rebuilt awhile ago. And... I get to dig in deeper into an engine than I've ever been.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer guy View Post
Uh oh did I start a flame war? I totally get both your guys' opinions and now have to scratch my head and "assess the opportunities". Project 89 I appreciate your thoughts on the 2.8, most people slag it heartily! Buzzlol, I'd love to drop the 4.3 injected in there but I'd have a holley 570cfm left over, 2 sets of headers, brand new eddy cam/lifters...

I'm leaning towards honoring my daughter's expenditure with a rebuild of the 2.8. At least it's got the big journals and 1 pc crank seal. Also, with the 4.3 don't I have to change transmissions? The one in the truck now was rebuilt awhile ago. And... I get to dig in deeper into an engine than I've ever been.

yes the 4.3 will require a different transmission the 4.3 uses the 90* bellhousing
the only engine that would be somewhat of a bolt in and keep the same trans u have now is the 3.8 series 2 engine as it uses the same 60* bellhousing

dont bother rebuilding the 2.8 bottom end , look on craigslist, local junkyards etc and pick up a complete 3.4L f-body engine for 100-300 bucks ,
since u are starting with a carbed engine the 3.4 will get u over 75 hp increase since the injected engines have better heads on them , along with the displacement increase

once u get the 3.4 pull the intake , timing cover and oil pan and throw it all away , and reuse the stuff from ur 2.8

which edelbrock cam did u get ? to late to send it back?
delta cams is the way to go when it comes to the 60* platform cam and lifter sets are 105$ shipped
a delta 252 grind would be perfect for a heavy truck
the delta 260 grind is a killer midrange cam

the holley 570 we will just say is kind of large , u would have been way better off with the 390

on the 3.4L its still a tad large but would be better then the 390 carb

if u really want to make the rebuild worthwhile let me know and i can post up some pictures of how to port those heads showing were , and how much material to remove and what to reshape to get the most out of those heads

for those that dont know ive been playing with the 60* engines for years and haven those engines making well over 450hp reliably
Old 04-30-2014, 11:46 PM

Last photo:

actually heres just a few pics
heres what the bone stock intake and ex look like on a injected head

a in progress mild street port on the intake side

an in progress race port on the intake

if it s something u want to tackle as part of the rebuild let me know and ill get u some better pictures

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.