Holley 3 Barrel - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010, 10:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Holley 3 Barrel

Hey guys recently got a Holley 950 CFM 3 barrel carb.
I am looking for a rebuild kit to help bring this carb back to life.
But when I called Holley today they gave me a part number 3-405
but when I looked it up, its just a universal rebuild kit, for a 4 barrel.

I was wondering if anyone out there has rebuilt one of these and remembered
what kit they used. The number stamped on the top is. 3916-1S

Thank you to everyone for all your help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 10:51 PM
More for Less Racer

I have two of these and I love them. The # that Holley gave you for the kit is for a four barrel, but it is your only solution as these carbs have been obsolete for so long that a specific 3 barrel kit is no longer available. Not to worry though, the solution is simple since these carbs are just basically an 850 with the divider cut out from between the rear barrels, so all it takes is a razor blade to cut the divider out of the main body gasket. Simple, no??

The bigger problem you will have is coming up with the correct vacuum diaphram for the vacuum secondary. It is a lot larger than a normal Holley diaphram and no longer available.

There are only three solutions - you can swap to the complete vacuum secondary housing of the current Holley size and style, swap to the vacuum housing from the Mopar 2 barrel "Six Pack" three 2 barrels carbs, or modify the "six pack" diaphram to fit in the 3 barrel stock housing.

Of these three methods I have only done the modify the six pack diaphram myself, it is a bit of work. I have not confirmed that the six pack complete housing assembly will interchange but it appears that it would. I have seen online the swap to the current size Holley vacuum secondary housing but can't confirm if the smaller diaphram will open the rear barrels correctly or at an acceptable rate.

I was told by a Holley rep at a race that Daytona Parts Company in Florida may have some of the actual 3 barrel parts but never confirmed it.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:14 PM

Last photo:

Wow thanks for all the help, thankfully the diaphram for my secondary is not torn and still holds strong, So your saying that the part number Holley gave me will work, just need to do a little cutting?
Old 04-10-2010, 05:47 PM
More for Less Racer

Yes, all you have to do is cut the divided section out from between the two rear barrels of the main body to baseplate gasket so that it has one big oval rear hole to match that rear barrel of the carb. A 30 second job with a razor blade or Exacto knife. Basically all Holley did was take the 850 Vacuum Secondary carb and remove the divider between the two rear barrels to make the 3 barrel. The front half of the carb is exactly the same as an 850.

You will also have to do a little gasket hole punching on the rear metering block gaskets to make sure the gasket matches the location of the feed holes into the rear boosters, Holley also moved the rear boosters closer together to make up for the missing divider between the rear barrels. If you look at the carb and the original gaskets it is obvious what you need to do, two 3/16" holes in the rear metering gasket are about 1/2 a hole off.

The rest of the gaskets are the same as all other basic Holley Modular carb design gaskets such as the 3310 750 vacuum and the 4776-77-78-79-80-4781 double pumpers. Such is the beauty of Holleys design.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:11 PM

Last photo:

Thank you so much for all the help. Just ordered the rebuild kit and a can of bronze carb paint to make it look and run like new again.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:52 PM

Holley 3 barrel

yes reg holley kit works,jut cut out base as stated for larger rear hole, a reg holley secondary quick change will work , using a medium to lite spring,adjust to your vehicle weight etc, and yu will have to change the lower diaphram bracket on the butterfly to use regular secondary kit, have done this on my 1030 3 barrel on my BB Nova ,,works great!!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:13 PM

contact paintedjester,he uses those carbs still,,,lol.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

hey vinniekq2 3 years old post . but here is where to get rebuild kits for almost any carb .

Daytona Parts Home Providing World Class Carburetor Restorations and Kits for Carburetors

makes a jiffy kit look like a 1/4 kit of what you get from them.
The Following User Says Thank You to killeratrod For This Useful Post:
vinniekq2 (08-09-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 09:58 AM
Last photo:

I know this is an old thread but. It has been my experience that practically all problems associated with a Holley rebuild can be traced back to the rebuild kits. The key is purchasing a quality rebuild kit.

Vince

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.