Hot Rod Forum banner

holley 3310s worth a darn ?

9K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  lg1969 
#1 · (Edited)
holley 4160s worth a darn ?

Got a holley 3310 750 vacum secondary 4160 to mess with would i be wasting my time with it for a 11 to 1 383 with a 284/292 .525/.546 cam mostly just play at the strip with it, can you convert these to mech secondaries ? or can i get the vacum secondaries to do what i want, dont want to waste a load of money on it that i could put towards a new carb, im running a predator now and im told id be way better off with a holley but maybe not this one lol.

#2 ·
Perfectly fine carb for your application. Can't be easily converted to mechanical secondarys,... but it doesn't need to be anyway, you can get a vacuum secondary spring assortment from Holley to tune the opening point on the secondarys to what works best for your engine. Holley # 20-13, $10.

You will also want a accelerator pump cam assortment kit Holley #20-12 $20, and possibly a larger front pump nozzle but you won't know what nozzle size until you start on-car testing.

You can also convert it to the high flow HP style main body, this is a nice mod to do but not a necessity, Holley and Proform sell the main body kits. Roughly $100. You can improve the stock main body be milling the choke horn off for a good cheap upgrade, this was a real common performance mod before the HP body became available.

Really good carb for all around stree/strip use, I've done several on different cars that run 10 second 1/4 mile times.

#4 ·
whathaveigotinto said:
Cool i think its already been messed with cause it has a mettering block in the rear ? been trying to find some good tech articles on it
If it has a metering block in the rear someone has converted it, good mod for racing, you're already a step ahead :thumbup:

A more advanced mod is to thin the throttle shafts and install button head allen screws to hold the blades to the shaft in place of the stock big brass screws, but you need to know what you are doing and have good mechanical/fabrication/machinist type skills or a steady hand if you do it with a Dremel. Requires disassembly of the baseplate/butterflys. this and the choke tower mill will give you roughly another 50-60 cfm.

#6 ·
whathaveigotinto said:
Got a holley 3310 750 vacum secondary 4160 to mess with would i be wasting my time with it for a 11 to 1 383 with a 284/292 .525/.546 cam mostly just play at the strip with it, can you convert these to mech secondaries ? or can i get the vacum secondaries to do what i want, dont want to waste a load of money on it that i could put towards a new carb, im running a predator now and im told id be way better off with a holley but maybe not this one lol.
I'm going to play the devil's advocate:

Personally, a vacuum secondary carb is not anything I'd run on a drag car if I had a choice. And converting it to mechanical secondaries is not a viable option, IMO.

The vacuum secondary isn't a deal killer, necessarily. But undoing another "carb guru's" mucking around well could be, depending on what they knew when they modified it. There are way more screwed up "modified" carbs out there than good ones. And the good ones don't just fall into your lap, ordinarily.

That said, do you have any history on this carb- as in, has it been successfully run on an engine in it's current state? Because if it's a modded carb that was a flop, you can chase some other guy's screw-ups until you're blue in the face, and still not get a decent performing carb out of it.

AFA milling the airhorn- unless you can do it or have it done for free, spend your money elsewhere.

#9 ·
I like the 3310's because they are cheap, durable, easy to tune, and runs well on the street and strip.

I run one on my 350 with 11:1cr, 292H compcam (244/244), my car runs high 11's at 120 on the engine and high 10's at 135 with 175 shot n02.

your engine will need at least 20 degrees of ignition timing at idle with that cam.

#10 ·
Had mine for over 20 years and just tore it apart this past week after losing a plastic sight plug inside it. Thing is in perfect shape and easy as hell to tune. The vac secondaries get you good street use and the rear metering plate is a quick adjustment (just swap out the plate for a new one). You can throw on a quick change secondary spring kit for cheap. Mine is on a 9.7:1 383 stroker and the only problems I ever had were my own bad adjustments.

#11 ·
I used a 3310-2 in the 780 cfm version first on an old Ford F250 with a 460 then on an F350/460. It got rebuilt and used on a well warmed 351W in a T-bucket. I finally pulled it when the shafts wore out to the point it was unrepairable without spending lots of dollars. Until that time, it was a totally fantastic carb.

Just make sure when you buy one (or any other used carb) that everything is in good rebuildable shape and all there.

Though I know little (or nothing) about Predators, why would you want to change it out? They supposedly work just fine though don't have the support of millions of Holley users.

Dave W

#12 ·
im running the 3310-2 on my .60 over 350, with 10.1cr and a 280h compcam 230/230 480"/480", runs strong very happy with it, it is currently used in a 79'z/28 with 3.73 gears with 255/60/15's moutin on 8" rims, onces the tires start spinning they cant stop lol, but iv got a set of 275/60/15 BFG's drag radials that mite fix the tire ripping action lol...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.