Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - holley 3310s worth a darn ?
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 10:36 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by whathaveigotinto
Got a holley 3310 750 vacum secondary 4160 to mess with would i be wasting my time with it for a 11 to 1 383 with a 284/292 .525/.546 cam mostly just play at the strip with it, can you convert these to mech secondaries ? or can i get the vacum secondaries to do what i want, dont want to waste a load of money on it that i could put towards a new carb, im running a predator now and im told id be way better off with a holley but maybe not this one lol.
I'm going to play the devil's advocate:

Personally, a vacuum secondary carb is not anything I'd run on a drag car if I had a choice. And converting it to mechanical secondaries is not a viable option, IMO.

The vacuum secondary isn't a deal killer, necessarily. But undoing another "carb guru's" mucking around well could be, depending on what they knew when they modified it. There are way more screwed up "modified" carbs out there than good ones. And the good ones don't just fall into your lap, ordinarily.

That said, do you have any history on this carb- as in, has it been successfully run on an engine in it's current state? Because if it's a modded carb that was a flop, you can chase some other guy's screw-ups until you're blue in the face, and still not get a decent performing carb out of it.

AFA milling the airhorn- unless you can do it or have it done for free, spend your money elsewhere.