Holley 4150 choke horn - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2004, 09:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Holley 4150 choke horn

Hi, got a older Holley 4150, 600cfm DP, mech. secondaries,and was wondering if anybody ever milled the ckoke horn,and if it is worth it to try and smooth or increase air flow. Intake is a single plane edelbrock,and I know a mech. sec. carb with single plane intake isn't best choice for street, but the combo actually works pretty decent on my 327. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2004, 09:19 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

I have on a lot of carbs.

I don't reccomend it unless you are having air cleaner clearance problems. Your carb will always run a little lean.

You are better off going with a larger carb if you want more airflow.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:29 PM

Last photo:

choke horn

Why would removing choke horn lean out carb?
Old 07-10-2004, 09:33 PM

Last photo:

It increases the airflow past what the air bleeds and the fuel restricion orfices were calculated for.

I have milled Holleys, used bigger baseplates, added secondary idle circuits, etc. I think you are better off buying the right carb.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:59 PM

Last photo:

carb

have any luck using stubstacks? Think using 4 hole base gasket would benefit, cause I figure with my setup, I need good fuel atominization when fuel hits plenum floor.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:34 AM

Simply milling the choke horn down flush doesn't increase the flow. In order to see any real gains you have to blend it completely down to the venturies so that it resembles an HP series carb. It would be much easier to by a proform main body. The proform main body also has screw-in air bleeds.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:22 PM

Last photo:

Re: carb

Quote:
Originally posted by vetteman
have any luck using stubstacks? Think using 4 hole base gasket would benefit, cause I figure with my setup, I need good fuel atominization when fuel hits plenum floor.
I have used those too. Same thing, it causes the carb to lean out. Simply increasing jetting doesn't fix the problem either. Jets are for cruise. The PVCRs (the holes behind the powervalve) control WOT operation.

Quote:
Originally posted by tresi
Simply milling the choke horn down flush doesn't increase the flow. In order to see any real gains you have to blend it completely down to the venturies so that it resembles an HP series carb. It would be much easier to by a proform main body. The proform main body also has screw-in air bleeds.
Milling the choke shroud alone does increase the CFMs. Not as much as blending the radiuses as you mentioned. Milling it down flush sees its biggest advantage on low clearance air cleaners. You need at least 1/4" clearance above the air horn for a Holley to work. Increasing the clearance from there further promotes airflow increases.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

??

Are you sure this is a true statement

( have used those too. Same thing, it causes the carb to lean out. Simply increasing jetting doesn't fix the problem either. Jets are for cruise. The PVCRs (the holes behind the powervalve) control WOT operation.)

At wot both the jets and the pvcr's control the amout of fuel going into the boosters. That is why drag racers change jets to lean or richen the motor under full power runs.

Keith
Old 07-12-2004, 05:09 PM

Last photo:

You are right. It is a combination of the jet area and the PVCR area that control WOT performance. But, on your everyday street driven Holley, people don't usually drill their PVCRs larger or press in lead shot to make them smaller. They usually just change the jet sizes.

Most credible carb gurus say that you should not increase your jet size by more than 4 sizes from the out of the box settings. This is because the you will end up running rich on your cruise in order to achieve proper air fuel mixture at the top end.

Jets actually start flowing at moderate cruise, and can even have some effect at idle. They are not the top end only metering orifices that everyone confuses them for. They also can't be used to make a carb that is too big work on an engine that is too small, and vice versa.

Drag racers increase or decrease air bleed sizes, PVCR areas, and jetting together respectively. Fine tuning may only require one of the orifices to be changed, but they all need to be modified together when a major change is made to the carb's metering.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:36 PM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Choke Horn Removal

If the choke horn is not taken off properly, and the carburetor is not recalibrated you can do more harm than good. You're generally going to be better off getting a carburetor that is closer matched to the application.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.