Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Holley 4160 (3310-S) continuing issues
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Agree that heat is likely causing the fuel percolation, causing it to pool on the throttle blades than seep out past the shaft.

Agree also on using an insulator of some sort, but don't unnecessarily lower the float level. This will delay actuation of the various carb circuits.

Be sure the idle mixture screws are adjusted to give the highest idle speed or highest vacuum reading, w/the engine fully warmed up- like after a 15 minute drive.

As for the choke, you need to readjust the fast idle screw so it'll raise the idle more w/o needing to close the choke more. This will keep the engine from loading up from too much choke and will hopefully allow it to go into gear w/o stalling. BUT, there's also a possibility that it's just going to take longer to warm up. You are using a thermostat, right? No 'stat makes the warm up take a lot longer than it should.

Another thing that can help cold drive-off is to give it enough initial timing. If you add initial you'll need to take out some mechanical advance to compensate, otherwise the total timing will be too high.

If you're using ported vacuum for the vacuum advance, switching it to manifold vacuum (and resetting the idle speed and idle mixture screws) can help. In this case the initial and total timing does not need to be changed.

If you're not using a vacuum advance, you should seriously consider using it.
Hey guys-

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I'm not entirely sold on the percolation issue, especially since I get the problem even only running a couple minutes. That said, I certainly do have an insulator I could install and it costs me nothing to at least try it!

I run ported vacuum advance, and have an adjustable can. You never know exactly how much you're getting from that thing, but I set it just under where it was pinging before I took everything apart. Yes, I am running a thermostat too.

Initial timing I have about 14 degrees. I'm hesitant to add more than that, but I guess I could try. My mechanical is limited to I believe 22 or 24 additional degrees (Moroso HEI replacement).

So I'll try adding in a couple of degrees, insulate my carb and give it more fast idle. As I'm driving it really does come alive and I like where its set now. I have to get it down to the strip and play with timing to see where the power is at.

Thanks guys-

K