Holley 4160 carb on 400 SBC. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2005, 06:03 AM
Superior Wheels Quality Tech

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Holley 4160 carb on 400 SBC.

Alright I've got a Holley 600 Vac secondary carb list #1850-4. It's mounted to a 400 small block chevy with the following mods:
Edelbrock performer intake
Lunati Bracketmaster II cam - 284/284 advertised dur, .458/.458 lift, 110 lobe sep.
Accel super coil, distributor, and shorty header plugs
Hooker super comp full length headers
comp cams double roller timing chain.

I would say its a fairly mild street/strip motor. But just recently got it running with all the new parts. (used to be a completely stock 400). Anyways I was wondering what a good jet size would be to start off with and what sites you guys would recomend on learning how to tune a holley. (kinda wishin I woulda just kept the Q-Jet on it.. )

Also does it matter which side the PCV valve is on? It used to be on the driver side valve cover.. But with the new carb it appears I'll have to run it on the passenger side and the breather on the driver side.. Does this hurt anything?

Thanks,
Matt

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2005, 09:32 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Personally I agree, you should have kept the Q-Jet but............. it sounds like you didn't. Get yourself a good Holley tuning manual, I've done pretty well with the S-A Design's manual but mine is 25 years old, I'm sure it's been updated a couple times over and there may be better ones now. As far as sites, this one has some pretty good carb people, you can also try Team Chevelle and Chevy Talk.

How does it run on the stock jetting? That's the best place to start then make changes from there if needed. I'd be willing to bet it's not that far off. See if one of your buddies has some jets on either side of the stock ones that you can use to dial it in. Unless you plan on making changes later there's no point in buying half a dozen pairs of jets to try, or make that many runs to the speed shop and then have a bunch laying around you may never need again. Let somebody else do that and then borrow their's. The secondary side is a little tougher on a 4160, no jets just a metering plate. The plate can be changed but they're a bit more expensive than a pair of jets. If you think you need to change the secondary side you may want to consider upgrading it to a 4150 by adding a secondary metering block kit. As far as anyone being able to pick the ideal jetting for your application by "remote control" over the internet that would only be guessing. There are several variables that come into play besides the engine. Climate, vehicle weight, transmission type, stall speed if an automatic, rear gear ratio and tire diameter and the "realistic" usage of the vehicle. Don't jet it for all out 1/4 mile performance if it will spend 99.99% of it's time cruising or hauling you back and forth to school or work. If it will see dual duty you may want to consider a 2nd carb set up just for the strip.

As far as the PCV, it doesn't mattter which side but couldn't you run a longer hose and keep it where it is? Just a thought.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:48 AM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Always start with the stock jetting.

Cruise at a series of steady speeds in 20 mph increments. See if you notice any surging. If so jet up a couple sizes. If not you are probably where you want to be.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:22 AM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

The sites for Holley are in the Knowledge Base along with other carb info.
Before you change the jets you need to know how to read the spark plugs.
Here is Holleys site with a free down-loadable manual and trouble shooters guide.
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/TechSer...o/FMCTech.html
When you need info please try the Knowledge Base first.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.