Hot Rod Forum banner

Holley 600 cfm problem

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ntfday 
#1 ·
My 1940 Ford Street Rod fails to start after sitting for a week or two in the shop. It isn't getting gas squirted into the carb bowl. It's getting gas inside the carb bowl but for some reason the gas isn't squirting into the carb's throat. I tinkered with it yesterday and got it to start. This is the third time I've had this problem. By the way, carb has been on the engine for 28 years without a problem. What your thoughts as what is wrong. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
IMHO ethanol is at least partly to blame. I would consider rebuilding the carb with a quality kit. I rebuilt the quadrajet on my 76 Vette shortly after I bought the car and the inside of the carb was one of the worse I've seen. Ethanol can go bad after a couple of weeks and wreaks havoc on the rubber parts in an old carb. Here is a picture of the inside of the quadrajet.

Attachments

#3 ·
What type fuel pump are you running manual or electric? Either way the gas is leaking by the needle and seat and the gas in the line is running back to the tank. If you have a manual fuel pump it takes time to suck the gas from the tank. At least you know your tank is vented. IMO the only way to stop the gas from leaking back to the tank is with a check valve installed in the line at the tank..

#4 ·
There is a check valve on the accelerating pump, it will be either a steel ball or an elastomer disk. In any event it isn't sealing so the pump squirt goes back into the flaot bowl instead of out the pump nozzles. Given what it takes to get to that valve you might as well do a rebuild kit since you'll need most of those gaskets and small parts just to dig deep enough to get at the pump valve.

Bogie

#5 ·
By the way, carb has been on the engine for 28 years without a problem. What your thoughts as what is wrong.
After being on the car for 28 years the carb needs to be rebuilt and the whole fuel system needs to be cleaned out. I would drop the tank and clean it out. Blow out any and all hard lines and replace all rubber lines and fuel filter(s). And if it were mine I'd also replace the pump. Anything else,IMHO, is a band aid and someday could leave you stranded on the roadside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.