Holley 800cfm spread bore-any good for street/strip? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2005, 06:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Holley 800cfm spread bore-any good for street/strip?

Hi Guys,
anybody got any experience/advice whether or not an 800 cfm spreadbore holley 9023 double pumper/ mech secondaries,has any redeeming qualities for a 9.2:1 454 BBC/268H comp xe? I picked one up at a local swap meet for $100. appears to be in great shape. Threw a kit in it, although I kinda had to piece it together as they are kinda an obscure carb. Could possibly be a marine carb. Got it running reasonably well, playing with the jets. started with a 61 that was stock in the primaries. has 86 stock in the secondaries. bumped it up to 72's on the primary side, but I think I might back it off to 65's tomorrow. has a power valve front and back. the kit came with 6.5's, but it was originally 8.5 front and 6.5 rear. What I am thinking is with those tiny primaries it may be fairly economical on the street until you open it up to those great big secondaries? think this will work, or should I just scrap it and get a sqaure bore carb of some kind? please let me know what you think!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2005, 08:16 PM

I haven't messed with an 800 speadbore but I have a 650 speadbore that I had good luck with for street strip use. If I were you I would not richen the jets until you run it with the stock jets. Often they are a little too rich to begin with. Holley doesn't want to have someone burn up a motor because they took one of their carbs out of the box, bolted it on and went racing. It's been so long since I had run that carb that I can't remember what jets I ended up with but I do know that the primary jets ended up being around a 57 when I hit the best mix of power and gas milage.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:18 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

spreadbore

454s come from the factory with a 750 spreadbore. The 800 may be a little large but can be jetted down. Still may not idle great.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:36 PM

Last photo:

yeah,
it did take a little coaxing for the idle, but I think I got it now. I had to balance the secondaries to the primaries very cautiously.It's pulling 15" vac at idle, so it seems happy. I had a bit of a stumble at first, so I had the jets kicking around for testing. The 72's definitley got rid of that. I advanced the primary pump cam from position 2 to 1. It has a white cam right now.It has 30cc front pump and 50 cc back pump. I am wondering if the small diameter bores up front might have some negative characteristics. I am thinking jetting it down to 65, and getting a 10.5 power valve instead of the 6.5 currently in there. whaddaya think, compromise with an 8.5 and go back to the stock 61 jets?
Old 05-28-2005, 09:03 PM
WrenchingAce

I run an 800 spread bore on my 350 small block and it is the best carb I've used and I have tried many different carbs over the years. The second best carb I've used is a model number 4010 list number 84013 which is a 750 double pumper. The spread bore is great for street/strip because the small primaries will give you great throttle responce and when you mash the gas those huge secondaries kick butt. You will be happy with your purchase.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Get th 4011. It is the new version of the 800 CFM spreadbore. It is far superior to the old style.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:52 PM

Last photo:

well, I just got back from a cruise thru the beach strip and it behaved really well. even in stop and go. It did have a slight surge at very light throttle holding 2nd or 3rd at a very slow 10-15 mph. More of an occasional hiccup. It is cruising at about 16-18" vacuum at 40-50 mph (cruise not mashed of course). stuck a vac gauge on it driving and it drops down to about 5" at a full primary 1/2 mash on the throttle. seems very crisp and a little lighter on torque, which right now is not a bad thing as I have problems connecting on the launch. The top end compared to the 650 dbl pmp I had on there is night and day! wow! now I just need the suspension to handle it all. maybe just a skid pan for those country bumps! welcome any more input for the jetting and power valve selection given these variables. seems to have a spot in the transition from idle to main circuit with the 72 jets up front and 6.5 " power valve (not real big but subtle stumble-momentary).. could be indicating over rich? I have not seen the plugs yet. a little early to tell, and I feel like drinking!(not wrenching) Thanks.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:22 PM

Last photo:

for those who care,
to follow up I went with 65 jets and a 10.5 power valve in the primaries.set initial timing to 12 degrees, running 20 degrees mechanical and 20 degrees of vacuum,fulltime manifold. recurved the distributer with silver/blue spring combo and installed an adjustable vacuum advance, which I am still dialing in. I still have a little detonation when I mash on the throttle at 10 mph, but it's getting better. So far, I like it, but it's still too early to tell. anybody got any tips for adjusting the vacuum can for a BBC? how many turns do you figure?
Old 05-30-2005, 10:50 PM

i looked it up and came up with 64/90 for stock jet sizes.i have always liked the quadrajet and have always wanted an 800 spread bore but haven't come across a deal on one yet you lucky dog you.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:42 PM
if you got it...SPRAY IT

@Speedfreak i have a 350 small block and was wanting to go with 800 spreadbore instead of q-jet. do you have any suggestions for me on jet size and power valves. also what secondary position do you recommend. it came off strip only 383
Old 08-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

You not only hijacked this thread, (which is seven years old), but you have another thread with the same question, please don't double post.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 08-09-2012, 11:06 PM

Its a great carb,enjoy learning it then enjoy the power
Old 08-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

This post is 7 years old.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:16 PM
if you got it...SPRAY IT

yeah i know. i didnt notice that when i asked the question because i came to it off of a google search. sorry for the 7 year old post coming up. im new at this forum.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.