Holley 850 CFM Vacuum Secondaries.. PITA..!! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2006, 04:20 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

This is a very long shot, but possable. Several years back I bought a Holley 750 vac secondary, new out of the box it did not have the acceleration I thought it should. I had a secondary spring tunning kit and went to do the same as you (install the lightest then work heavier) when I removed the secondary chamber it had a solid gasket in place where it should have had approx a 1/8" opening in the center of the gasket. It could not get a vac signal to open the secondarys. I replaced with the proper gasket and proceeded to my "test track", where on my first pass I twisted the end off of the driveshaft.
They have done it once, maybe they did it a second time?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2006, 04:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
This is a very long shot, but possable. Several years back I bought a Holley 750 vac secondary, new out of the box it did not have the acceleration I thought it should. I had a secondary spring tunning kit and went to do the same as you (install the lightest then work heavier) when I removed the secondary chamber it had a solid gasket in place where it should have had approx a 1/8" opening in the center of the gasket. It could not get a vac signal to open the secondarys. I replaced with the proper gasket and proceeded to my "test track", where on my first pass I twisted the end off of the driveshaft.
They have done it once, maybe they did it a second time?
Heh Thanks for the Reply 1 OwnerT....

Good point. I also had bought the Kit with the removable Diapharam top. This lets you remove the top cover to change springs with out removing the choke and Vacuum diaphram assembly.

Of course to install this cover you have to remove the vacuum diaphram. In the kit is a brand new cork gasket. It is mounted on an adhisive backing ..and you peel if off and install it on the chamber.

Now ..I can see how this happen to you as you must remove the center piece of cork from the ring before mounting or sticking it on to the chamber.
So..when they built yours ..someone forgot to remover the center!!!

So....Good call ..but I did install it and I know I removed the center piece.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

It was worth mentioning, you never know. I don't think the removable covers were available when I was tunning on mine. It was a PITA to have to remove and replace the thing to change springs.
Hopefully you find the culprit soon.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I forgot to mention that with the short yellow spring the secondaries begin to open much sooner than 5200, on my engine anyway. That's the rpm in which they are completely open by. With 100 extra cubes and much better heads the airflow should be more than enough to open them up sooner with the same spring, even in an 850. Oh yeah, I tossed the check ball too. It made them open too slow for my taste.

Just try it.

Larry

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.