holley carb flooding - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009, 03:53 PM

Last journal entry: time flies
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

holley carb flooding

ok well i had a friend give me a used carb its a 4160 holley. we rebuilt it over the winter following the instructions " very limited " with the rebuild kit.
today i tryed to fire the car up for the first time , as iam pulling the #1 plug to set top center , about the third time i check it the clylinder was full of fuel it splashed out when we bumped the engine over.
looking at my trouble chart it says floats or needle valve. i pulled out the float check screws they levels are ok. so " how do i fix it "

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

If your sure the float levels are okay next up is to check the fuel pressure. If the engine will idle or even if the fuel pressure is excessive, it will pour fuel out of the boosters so you`ll have to shine a light in the carbs throat to see while it`s idling or even turning over in a attempt to start. If you don`t have a fuel pressure gauge get one, Holley`s don`t like fuel pressure over 6 psi. Sometimes they will also flood out of the idle circuits, years ago when I was battling a fuel pressure issue, it would flood from the idle circuits or pour out of the boosters.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:21 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing
ok well i had a friend give me a used carb its a 4160 holley. we rebuilt it over the winter following the instructions " very limited " with the rebuild kit.
today i tryed to fire the car up for the first time , as iam pulling the #1 plug to set top center , about the third time i check it the clylinder was full of fuel it splashed out when we bumped the engine over.
looking at my trouble chart it says floats or needle valve. i pulled out the float check screws they levels are ok. so " how do i fix it "
Did you put a power valve back in it? With the correct gasket? Windowed PV gets the plain round gasket, the multiple round holed one uses the gasket with the "bumps" on the ID- IIRC.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:00 PM

Last photo:

engine isn't running , it was just put back together. it has the stock ford mechical fuel pump.
yes it got a new power valve , i think correct gasket. it all came in the rebuild kit.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:44 PM

Last photo:

You should be fine with the stock Ford pump because they pump around 5 lbs. Are you adjusting the floats correctly? There is a screw on the side of the fuel bowl. When you remove that screw, you should have a very slight trickle of gas coming out. If it's pouring out of the hole, the float needle is adjusted too high and needs to be lowered until the fuel barely comes out of the hole. You may have a piece of gasket or dirt stuck in the float needle preventing it from shutting off the fuel supply, if adjustment isn't working. To adjust the float, use a 5/8 wrench to break the nut and float needle which is on top of the fuel bowl, while holding the float screw in place. Then turn the screw clockwise to lower and counterclockwise to raise the needle until the proper float level is achieved. Then tighten the nut and you should fine. The engine is probably not running due to all the fuel dumping into the engine. You may need to change the plugs or dry them off if they are gas fouled as well.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:36 AM

Last photo:

the bowls are not over full , i opened the check screws and the levels are just a bit below the opening.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.