Holley carb fuel evaporation - shrunk gaskets - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 11:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Holley carb fuel evaporation - shrunk gaskets

I am having trouble with my Holley carb in my Willys. Have moved into a new house so the car has been sitting idle for extended periods. After a month or two, I get in to drive it and find the fuel has evaporated out of the bowls, the gaskets have shrunk and the car of course barely runs. New set of gaskets and I am off and running again. I will try the 'no shrink' blue gaskets this time but the bigger question is why is my fuel evaporating so quickly? Modern Oldsmobuicks don't seem to have that problem. Any ideas, short of giving the car a spin every week?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2006, 12:25 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I had the same problem once. I figure maybe it evaporates through the cork. Makes you wonder what they were thinking. Oldsmobuicks in my past have always used paper gaskets and they don't seem to be a problem. Or maybe it just leaks out the well plugs so fast it doesn't have a chance to evaporate.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:02 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

This new formulated gasoline evaporates much more quickly as it is blended for fuel injection and evaporation is not a consideration in a closed EVAP system.

It will also vaporize more quickly than the older style fuel leading to quicker vapor lock on a carbureted car. They don't have to worry about it with 42 psi EFI electric fuel pumps.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Typically Holley carbs had the fuel bowls vented to the atmosphere.

Put some fuel into a cup. Then cover the cup with come plastic wrap. Stick a pencil thru the plastic wrap to simulate the vent hole. Set this in the garage or patio where you can simulate the sitting vehicle. Observe the gas to see how fast it evaporates. This will give you some visual evidence of what happens inside the carb normally.

These days some of the gaskets available should eliminate the dreaded "dried out gasket syndrome".

Part of the problem with the evaporating gas is it leaves behind particles that crystalize and form debris that can clog the metering block ports. If you are going to store you might be wise to drain the bowls first that way you eliminate the gas residue. Or, if you have an electric pump, you can "prime" the carb routinely to keep the bowls full.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:42 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryblack

Part of the problem with the evaporating gas is it leaves behind particles that crystalize and form debris that can clog the metering block ports. If you are going to store you might be wise to drain the bowls first that way you eliminate the gas residue. Or, if you have an electric pump, you can "prime" the carb routinely to keep the bowls full.
DAMN GOOD POINT HERE SIR!

I am looking for the PCV system from an early 1962/63 221/260 SBF that had the oil filler tube in the front cover and the PCV valve mounted on the rear of the intake. I would like it complete if possible, in pieces otherwise;

1) Front Cover And Tube
2) 4V Intake Manifold
3) Complete PCV Hookup On Rear Of Intake
4) Smooth Closed Rocker Covers
Old 08-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Thanx guys. Guess I will install blue gaskets and turn on the key once a week to prime the bowls.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.