Hot Rod Forum banner

Holley carb ID

9K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  eric32 
#1 ·
Hey all, I'm looking to find out what my Edelbrock Performer intake on with a 4 Barrel. I found a Quadrajet but it ended up being a California carb. So I sold it and now I'm looking at a Holley carb 80457-3 right now for a decent price. I think. I know it's a 4160 model 600 CFM electric choke. From what I heard and read it might be some sort of emissions carburetor I don't know. Any help would be appreciated or a link to easily identify it with more information than what I have. Thanks.

#2 ·
#3 ·
for Holley Carb reference, you can go to the Holley web site.
Scroll down to the bottom of the home page, you'll see "Technical Support" list and click on the listing "Resource Documents & Library". This will take you to another page list, click on "Carburetor Numerical Listing" and that will give you a listing of almost all Holley carbs according to the list number on the choke horn.

This listing wil give you jetting, secondary spring color, pump cam color, pump nozzle size, power valve rating and a bunch of other specs for the carb.

80457-3 is a 4160 model, 600 cfm, electric choke, performance replacement carb for stock to mildly modified vehicles. Not an emissions design. The -3 at the end of the part number means it is the third revision from the original spec design.

#7 ·
Regarding the 267, the carb is more CFM than a 267 can use, but it should work just fine. Nice thing about vacuum secondary carbs is the secondaries only open as far as they need to based on engine demand.

That little sucker should breath well when you're done. In fact, 2-1/4" pipes should be more than enough unless you plan to install a bigger engine in the future. Same for header tube diameter: 1-1/2" to 1-5/8" is all you need for less than a 350 cubes, or a small high RPM screamer. Anything bigger will hurt low RPM performance.

What do you have in mind for an intake manifold?

#8 ·
It's more CFM than a 267 can use, but it should work just fine. Nice thing about vacuum secondary carbs is the secondaries only open as far as they need to based on engine demand.

That little sucker should breath well when you're done. In fact, 2-1/4" pipes should be more than enough unless you plan to install a bigger engine in the future. Same for header tube diameter: 1-1/2" to 1-5/8" is all you need for less than a 350 cubes, or a small high RPM screamer. Anything bigger will hurt low RPM performance.

What do you have in mind for an intake manifold?
Thanks, I was just reading one of the links above seeing it might be a little to big. Should be OK and work with future 350 in mind too. The headers are 1 5/8 with 2 1/2 exhaust. I have an eddy performer that I hand polished a bit.

#10 ·
So I went through with the purchase, just waiting for it to ship. Should be here in about a week. The carb is used, but it looks like it's in good condition somewhat clean. I've seen a million different things saying to use a spacer or a adapter or to not use them blah blah blah.. it's going on Edelbrock Performer 2101. Do I just use the square gasket in between the intake and the carb? Or should I get a spacer or adapter?

#11 ·
I got my carb. While fiddling around with the carb and performer intake I noticed the fast idle screw catches on the intake when trying to achieve wide open throttle. I have been looking at different adapters and spacers trying to find the best solution to raise it up a little. I was originally going to get Edelbrock 2732 just to seal it correctly (spread/square bore intake to square carb). But the eddy 2732 is really thin, won't be raising up enough for the fast idle screw to clear. So what's my best bet here to get the fast idle screw to clear the intake?

#17 ·
I have two different brands in my shop -- Weiand and Edelbrock. Both are open, so I would use open gaskets with them. I doubt any ill effects of a mini open plenum would be noticeable. However, you could use a 4-hole square bore to spread bore adapter which would allow you to use 4-hole gaskets top and bottom.

Or better yet, shop for a low-rise square bore manifold. I'd suggest a Weiand 8120 or Edelbrock 2701. The Weiand is a newer design. A Fel-Pro 1256 gasket set would work well for sealing.

#22 ·
My brother once had a chevy caprice with a 305 that had a factory qjet on the intake and it had seen better days so I got a used 600 holley and had to buy one of those spread bore to square bore adapters which are about a half inch or slightly bigger in size and the factory intake unlike the edelbrock intake is only for spread bore bolt pattern. I used a square bore gasket of the four hole design and then the adapter piece and then another 4 hole gasket and then thee carb and with the square bore gasket on the bottom it leaked so I had to take it back off and use a spread bore gasket then the adapter then the square bore gasket then the carb and it worked like a charm.

I have never used one of those intakes before and I don't know if not using the small edelbrock adapter plate to seal up the rear will still be needed or not if you consider using a 4 hole spacer. I would assume with the extra area of the edelbrock that by using the 4 hole gasket after cutting the two small sections out of the gasket that separate the front and back and then putting your spacer on and the 4 hole gasket again as it is and then the carb you should be good to go.

I always use the 4 hole gaskets beneath and above my spacers and keep the two different sides separated as I have better carb signal and I don't know why but holley and a lot of carb makers just always include an open type gasket and never a 4 hole but I have had it before to where I just used the open gasket and then put on my carb and the signal was still good but still not quite as good as to when I used the 4 hole design. On the holley base plate there is a machined area on the base plate that still allow each side to share a little but not much that would effect anything signal wise but stay with the 4 hole and make sure to keep each side divided. Trust me going from a open to a 4 hole for spacer wise makes a difference on the bottom end of things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.