Hot Rod Forum banner

Holley carb kits, what's the difference

21K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  TechGuy 
#1 ·
The Summit website list 3 carb kits for my 4160; trick, renew and fast. I understand the trick kit has lots of extra parts for tuning the carb and updating some parts, blah, blah, but what is the difference between a fast and renew kit?

#3 ·
Be wary of house brand carb kits, especially for a Holley carb. They are not all created equal. There are only several brands of kits I will even consider for a Holley rebuild, one of course is the Holley brand. The second is Borg Warner. Some have told me the NAPA brand is also a quality kit. I cannot tell you how many problems I fought before I started using quality rebuild kits, it just isn't worth it to skimp here. There is no way I would use anything less.

Vince

#4 ·
I just got me a couple of books on Holley carbs and one thing noted was,
best to buy the Holley rebuild kits and as for power valves ONLY Holley.
I have just cured a problem with my carb, a BG, which turned out to be the power valve.I don´t know who makes the power valves for BG but now mine has a Holley.
As Summit don´t carry BG stuff anymore I´ll be buying Holley rebuild kits as well.

#5 ·
get the reuseable blue bowl gaskets. mine have lasted a while. if you have a vacuum secondary carb, you will have to match up the power valve. you want that fuel and air door thing happening right! also timming! get a good vacuum advance can in the dizzy, make sure that curve is spot on.

the old v8 350 performer package(.420 cam and intake) will scream, and lay rubber tunned right.

cruising, my cars had 50+ degree total advance at idle cruise( idle-2500rpm). that is good.

#13 ·
malc said:
I just checked, in the kit I bought there are four of those gaskets, all a tad different.
There is one that will fit my needs. :D
This kit also contains three power valves.
Cool. Just match one up to the gasket that's already on your carb if you change it. If you don't have the right one, you should be able to elongate a couple of the holes to make it work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.