Holley Carb Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 04:35 PM

Last wiki edit: Automobile body and frame rotisserie
Last journal entry: Bell Crank Fix
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Holley Carb Question

I found someone on craigslist who has a Holley 2bbl for sale.
I'm hoping someone can tell me whether it will work ok for what I need.
I've got a 1963 chevy 230 going into a 1952 chevy coupe.
The engine is pretty much all stock. Except things that are irrelevant like dress-up.
The numbers on the carb are as follows:

DIJJ 9510 B
LIST 6317

From what I found on the internet, this is a marine carb. I found somewhere that said it's a model 2300 carb. 350cfm. Is this correct? I'm sure I'll need an adapter for it to fit my intake, but if I can get an adapter that fits will this carb work ok for my car (Assuming it's stock and no ones messed with jets and what not)?

Thank you so much for the help!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011, 05:21 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The info you show is correct.

A 350 cfm carb is fairly large on a 230 cid engine, but because of how the flow is measured at a lower depression of 3 in/Hg than a 4 barrel at 1.5 in/Hg, the number looks bigger than it actually is.

To compare a 2 barrel rating to a 4 barrel rating, divide the 2 barrel rating by 1.414. To compare the 4 barrel rating to a 2 barrel rating, multiply the 4 barrel rating by 1.414. So the flow of the 350 cfm 2 barrel becomes about 250 cfm.

Trans-Dapt has adapters for this, but because the carb is necked down into the 1 barrel manifold entrance, the full flow of the 2 barrel will not be realized.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:43 PM

Last photo:

So in other words it would work but don't count on any performance increase (i wasn't anyway)?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:55 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutchmaster427
So in other words it would work but don't count on any performance increase (i wasn't anyway)?
Any gains on a stock engine would be marginal at best. What you might gain is a carb in better condition- most of the old 1 barrel carbs are long in the tooth by now and even when rebuilt, they can have loose throttle shafts and a warped body and/or air horn.

Now if you were to use a split exhaust manifold or header along w/a low restriction muffler, the carb might help the engine breath better.

There were 2 barrel carbs used on the 250 cid straight six Chevy engines, you might look into using one of them instead of the restrictive 1 barrel intake.

Clifford has aftermarket headers and intakes, too.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:16 AM

Last photo:

yeah I've looked at the aftermarkets but I'm just looking to find a relatively inexpensive setup. It's got a 1 barrel on it right now that works ok, I just ran across this one relatively cheap and was wondering if it was worth picking it up. Thanks for the help! I might grab it in case I happen to run across a stock 2bbl manifold somewhere.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:34 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutchmaster427
yeah I've looked at the aftermarkets but I'm just looking to find a relatively inexpensive setup. It's got a 1 barrel on it right now that works ok, I just ran across this one relatively cheap and was wondering if it was worth picking it up. Thanks for the help! I might grab it in case I happen to run across a stock 2bbl manifold somewhere.
To run the 2300 Holley on an OEM Chevy 2 barrel intake will require an adapter so the different base bolt patterns will mate, but that's no big deal.

IMHO, the Holley 2300 could possibly be an improvement in that situation, although the GM 2 barrel carbs like the Rochester 2G are a pretty good carb themselves and have decent aftermarket support because the circle track guys use them.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:48 PM

Last photo:

I found a guy selling 3 rochester 2GC's with the tripower linkages and everything for $150 a while back and almost bought em but didnt have the money to get me a 3x1 intake and 3 adapters plus the carbs so I passed on em. he said they were are fresh rebuilds...but who really knows i guess. That's what I'd really like to do but then I'd need to do something with the exhaust too and then that's getting into the $$$$ haha.

I love the sixes but as everyone knows it seems like and endless money pit trying to make em fast unless you're a master fabricator and can rig up a junkyard supercharger or something like some of those guys do. I'm not too worried about power though...just want the engine to keep running well like it does now, just thought if the 2bbl would make a small improvement for the $20 I might as well. Sounds like that's not the case

In the meantime I'll just "keep on chooglin'" in my putt putt six and keep an eye out for a good cheap sbc or some cheap speed parts for the 6. Maybe I'll get lucky! haha

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.