Holley Carb. Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2003, 10:39 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Holley Carb. Question

Hey all, I have a question for everyone about my carb. First let me tell you my combination. SBC 350, 10:1 hypereutectic, 224/234 @50 (290/300 adv.) duration with .465/488 I/E lift. Vortec heads with z28 springs and 1.5:1 roller rockers. Intake is a Performer RPM and the carb is a Holley 600 cfm Double pump. The carb is starting to act up a little now with mid rpm hesitation (actually it's always had this problem), and slight off the line stumble. Basically it's time for either a rebuild, or replacement. My question is this. Should I rebuild the carb, and try to resize the power valve to correct my mid power band problem, or should I upgrade to a little larger carb? Several people have told me to go to a 650, or 750 with vacuum secondaries, but I don't want to lose that crisp throttle response I get with the mechanical secondaries. Whaddya think guys, should I rebuild and retune, or replace? (...also, does anybody have anything good, bad or other about the Edelbrock carbs?)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2003, 12:03 PM

Stick with the Holleys they are the best out there. I would go with a new 750. I run it on my 65 Chevelle and it is awesome. I have a little bit bigger cam but it should still work fine.
Good Luck
Fireschenie
Old 02-20-2003, 12:52 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I`d just get a 650 Demon and let it ride, unbreakable baseplates, billet metering blocks and far superior quality is my reasons for the Demon, I run a road Demon Jr, and I wouldn`t trade it for nothing, fires up when I hit the key and has excellant throttle response. only if you get a Demon, take my advice, Read the instructions, it may look like a holley, but it don`t adjust like one, Demons are very precise.
Good Luck.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:27 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Save your money and retune the carb.
The amount of fuel that can be delivered by one accelerator pump stroke is determined by the pump's capacity and the profile of the pump cam.
The period of time that it will take for this pre-determined amount of fuel to be delivered is affected by the pump nozzle size. A larger pump nozzle will allow this fuel to be delivered much sooner than a smaller pump nozzle. If you need more pump shot sooner, then a larger pump nozzle size is required. During acceleration tests, if you notice that the car first hesitates and then picks up, it's a sure bet that the pump nozzle size should be increased. A backfire (lean condition) on acceleration also calls for a step up in pump nozzle size. Conversely, if off-idle acceleration does not feel crisp or clean, then the pump nozzle size may already be too large. In this case a smaller size is required.
The same applies to the accelerator pump cams. Once a pump nozzle size selection has been made the accelerator pump system can be further
tailored with the pump cam. Usually the red cam works the best. For a DP its good to put a 50cc pump on the secondaries for any lean spot or to help the carb to catch up.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:17 AM

Holley 600 carb wont start once hot

hey guys, just bought myself a ski boat. It has a mildly worked 350 chev fitted with a near new 6050 holley carb.
My problem is after running the boat for a while and i suddenly stop it; after a minute or so later I go to start it again and it wont fire.
I can give it no gas or some gas (have tried both a few times) and it wont start, i have to wait nearly 10 mintues and then try again and it will finally start.
Anyone have any ideas what is wrong and how to fix it?
My guess was the heat was evaperatingthe fuel in the bowl but im really not sure, im new to holley carbs.

Last edited by gilflite350; 11-07-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:14 AM

Last photo:

gilflite, most likley vapor lock. specially cause boat engines gets very hot and dont have a whole lot of airflow available to them in the engine bays. try putting a phenolic carb spacer on it. that should reduce the heat transfer to the carb from the intake manifold. that might help fix it
Old 11-08-2010, 02:15 AM

Last photo:

take that single feed holley 600 off and throw it in the trash, it's a piece of junk.

pick up a 650 dual feed, vacuum secondary.. my engine is very similar to yours (214/224 @ .050 and 9.75:1)
I went from a Qjet to a holley 600
and it would starve for fuel higher up in the rev's from that single feed carb.
I rebuilt and retuned that pos until I was ready to put it in my punkin chunker.. lol (I used to suck the float bowl dry on the qjet, it'd fall on it's face at the top of 2nd gear, I'd get out of the the throttle for a second, get back in it and it would come back)

bought a brand new 650 and after some initial tuning.. my engine ran SOOOOOO much better.
still using the same fuel pump, but using a dual port pressure regulator too...

also, holley's are a little funny about fuel pressure.. the doc's day 7psi max, but I found trying to run more then 6 tends to invite flooding issues.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Camaro Guy All The Way!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprumos
gilflite, most likley vapor lock. specially cause boat engines gets very hot and dont have a whole lot of airflow available to them in the engine bays. try putting a phenolic carb spacer on it. that should reduce the heat transfer to the carb from the intake manifold. that might help fix it
That is what I told him yesterday.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.