Holley Carb questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2003, 11:59 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Holley Carb questions

Howdy out there. I'm just looking for some suggestions on what kinda carb to get. I have a 1967 chevy camaro with 327ci/350-400 ponies. Its gonna be a street machine probably daily drivin. I need to get a New carb for it and i want it to be a holley with cfm's between 600-750 somewhere in there. Any suggestions on if i should get a double pumper or what not manual or electric and if electric what would i do to switch it over b/c its a manual right now. Any comments would be greatly appreciated and if ya wanted you could tell me what kinda intake manifold would go great too. Thanks for reading this and hopefully any usefull or useless information.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2003, 12:04 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

Need to know a little more about you motor, like cam, compression. I would say go with an edelbrock dual plane intake, but that's if you don't have a huge cam. Let us know some more!
Old 08-19-2003, 12:07 PM

well i'm not to sure so i'll have to go check it out, I just got the engine and am rebuilding and haven't really checked it out. so i'll get back to ya with that info
Old 08-19-2003, 02:19 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Cool

What kind of transmission? If automatic with close to stock stall I am pretty sure you are going to want a vac. secondary carb in the 600-650 range. If manual trans you can go mech. secondarys. You can call any of the major carb companies and if you give all the specs on your car and how you intend to drive it and they will tell you which of their carbs to go with. Pretty goofproof way of taking the guess work out of this important decision.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:55 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

You say you want to go with a Holley and you want to drive it on the street.

I'd get a 670 Avenger. Out of the box, they hold their own against a 650 Edelbrock on the street and they're extremely tunable. They really aren't set up for what I would call optimum performance but then, what is. Other then maybe a Mighty Demon. Even Edlebrocks need to be tweaked for best performance. I'd just as soon change jets in a Holley as I would, change metering rods in a Q-Jet or E-brock... No. I'd go with an Avenger as a base Holley starter carb.. Most anybody can change the secondary diaphragm springs, jets and acc. pumps. It's a relatively expensive learning experience but mostly worth it nonetheless.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

carb questions

here is the formula for max carboration.
Displacement X desired RPM divided by 3456. This will give you the theoretical carboration requirement in CFM, based on 100 % efficiency. go with that number. If the number falls between carb sizes, opt for the smaller one. You can over rev a carborator but you cant under rev it.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:17 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Get a Holly 300-36 hi-rise Contender, its a duplicate of the Z28 intake and 1 3/4" taller and good from idle to 7200 rpm. For the carb a 3310 Holly 750 with vacuum secondaries w/ elect. choke.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:30 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Lots of good advice here. The performer is a good intake for the street. And the 750 vac. secondary should work fine. my self I like the factory type heat stove choke.

I haven`t tried the contender yet. but I run a couple of Z28 intakes,they are hard to beat. The extra 1 3/4 inch might cause a problem on a 67 Camaro, as hood Clarence is very close.

Good Luck
Troy,
Old 08-21-2003, 06:19 AM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

A dropped base air cleaner would give the clearance. Holly makes a regular version of the intake and Weiand Stealth(Holly owns) is a great intake for the street same specs, Idle to 7,000 RPM.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:47 AM

Thanks to everyone for the info and suggestions. I'm gonna get a hood scoop so i'm hoping hood clearance really shouldn't be that big of a problem. Is the performer a dual plane? and how would i switch my car from a manual choke to an electric choke? Thanks again to everyone for there oppinions and suggests.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:26 PM

Last photo:

hood scoop

If you are planning to install a sanitary looking scoop that would look as though it would belong on the vehicle, my recommendation is to first cut the hole for clearance. A good way to mark this is to put a stud you know will just barely hit the bottom of the hood, on your carborator. Put a dab of paint on it to mark the center. Then drill a very small hole. Measure the diameter of your air filter, and scribe a circle about 1 inch larger in diameter than your air filter. Cut your opening. With the air filter in place, measure its height above the hood, then seek a scoop that clears the top of the air filter by about 1 inch. Generally, a good scoop for this is the old Ford Thunderbolt "Teardrop", wich comes in several sizes. Then install the scoop as per manufacturers recommendations.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:23 AM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by ToYoungToCare
Is the performer a dual plane?
Yes they are. Holley Electric choke kits are readily available and are easy to install.

http://store.yahoo.com/whitespitstop/holchokkit.html
Old 02-01-2006, 02:35 PM

holley carb

auto w/11-12 inch conv try out the 650-750 quick fuel provac-very nice carb for the application/price w/a performer rpm or rpm air gap(very good all around intake);looser converter and cam w/more than 235 degrees at @.050 a team g (low profile) or air gap w/650-750cfm mighty demon or quick fuel -cfm depending on conv and gear ratio.GL
Old 02-01-2006, 02:39 PM

Carb

Sorry;manuel Trans Go For The Team G(low Rise)or Air Gap W/one Inch Phenolic Spacer And 700-750cfm Might Demon Or Quick Fuel-holley Hp Are Real Nice Carbs But Pricey-if U Can Build One Buy Proform Or Holley Hp Main Body W/biillet Aluminum Metering Blocks W/orig Base Plate And Bowls -mainly Same Carbs But $100-150 Cheaper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2006, 03:25 PM

Last photo:

You might want to check the date on the post (top left). This thread is several years old and hopefully he figured it out by now.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.