Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - holley carborater issues
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 10:26 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangsheadondesk
i bought this truck 2 weeks ago and installed new alltinator, starter, battery. it came with holley performance rpm manifold and a holey carborater. Yesterday i have replace the starter and this morning the cable from the battery to the alltinator was sparking to the exhaust heads and was running rough. i might have flooded the carb in trying to make it go back to my garage and now after i fixed the wiring issue the truck turns over but no start. it sputters. i have no clue what kind of carb it is, maybe a 600cfm i would guess. what do i do next?
Sometimes just letting it sit for a few hours will allow it to restart if it was flooded.

The routine way of dealing w/a flooded engine at restart is to floor the throttle (w/o pumping it at all!) and hit the key. This allows as much air through as possible.

If no go, take the plugs out and see what they look like. If they're wet, leave them out and crank the engine over a few revolutions and let it sit.

When you get ready to try it again, make sure the plugs are dry before replacing them, and be sure the wires are correct.

What type ignition is on this truck? HEI, points, or ?

The carb "list" number will be stamped into the choke tower.