Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - holley carborater issues
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 07:11 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangsheadondesk
it has been running fine for the past 2 weeks and for the past few days every once in awhile when it starts cold it bogs down when hard acceleration and goes away once it warms up and now it wont start. it turns over and sputters rough. i hope its not timing. it is raining now so i will have to wait to check the coil afterwards. it would start up without touching the gas pedal before.

to be honest it started to do that when i had to replace the battery and altinator. it all started from there. then starter. maybe theres not enough power and a full night of charging hopefully might help. Since there is a new battery and alltinator what do i need for the hei to run propperly? my plastic visa is starting to melt from the friction of slides in the machine. what would be the best solution, to replace all of the ignition system with.... ? i will have to replace bits and pieces eventually why not do the whole thing at once, prevenitive maintance i suppose.
The cost of supplying the HEI w/12 VDC is negligible. You're only talking about a couple terminals and a couple feet of insulated 12-14 gauge primary wire- what, $2.00? I'm a FIRM believer in only replacing parts that need replaced. The "throw parts at it until it works" is for the guys w/too much money and not enough diagnostic skill to do it the 'right' way, IMO.

Was the distributor position in the engine changed for any reason? Are the wires in the correct order, both at the cap and at the plugs? I gave you a link above for that.

Get the battery charged up and then check the coil supply wire for voltage. But if it was starting before, something has happened to f-that up. Try to retrace your steps to see if anything jumps out at you.